Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Racing Calendar Local crits, road races, TTs and more

Toms Farm TT
Calendar: Race Calendar
esammuli
Training

12-14-2008 07:00 AM to 10:00 AM
Race Type: Time Trial

I've been working on my position. All will be crushed.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Base-building

My Photos: (17)
VegaVixen is on a distinguished road

There's only one TT I know around here that's five miles straight up a mountain, and I'd be on my featherweight Scott for it. If I was actually going to attempt it, that is.

Hey, good luck on Sunday. Lookin' forward to the Crushed-Souls Report.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Training

My Photos: (0)
esammuli is on a distinguished road

Thanks. As long as it doesn't rain. The weather report is saying 40% chance or showers on Sunday. If it does then I might go to a cyclocross race instead.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Base-building

I always did better against women in my age category at TT in the rain. But cyclocross could be more fun in the mud.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:43 AM

My Photos: (0)
markg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen View Post
What kind of fiddling did you do? I've pretty much exhausted possibilities on my road bike with clip-ons. Short of poppin' on a real TT bike, I can't get any lower. But in case I've missed something, I'd love to know what you did.
Vega, you are pretty limited what you can do with a regular road bike when it comes to setting up TT position. If you try to drop your front down too low, you close up your hip angle, which affects power output. TT bikes have a steeper seat tube angle so that basically you rotate your whole body forward over the pedals, leaving the hip angle the same. If you want to understand how this all works, check out Dan Empfield's series on FIST fit principles at slowtwitch.com.

EDIT: Ooops....looks like you have already read some of that. No he really doesn't have any formulas you can plug in and see what you need, but it all is based on geometries of knee, hip, and shoulder angles, so you could probably take some body measurements and figure how to arrive at what you need. There are a few gotchas in the stack and reach table - example if the frame uses a tall cap on the headset (or add spacers), that will both increase the stack height AND decrease the reach.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Base-building

Bottom line: Until I pop on a TT bike, I'll just keep working on the engine. If I can get my power/mass up in the meantime, then the TT geometry (when I have it) will just give me all the more bang for the buck.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Cat 4ish

My Photos: (6)
ohmannuel is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile

An all night’er is not advised before any strenuous activity, much less a “race of truth.” But as luck would have it and lately is seems my luck wont have it any other way, I could not fall asleep last night because of my damn toothache. So this morning I popped some pain pills, vitamins, penicillin, and caffeine to get me started for my first race of the year. I would need plenty of ibuprofen and caffeine before the day was done.

Dexter season 2 keep me company all night till around 4:45am when I decided to start my pre-trip checklist. I had remember everything except sleep. I got to Tom’s Farm around 7am and the cold rattled me for about an hour in my skin suit. Having not brought my trainer I decided to pre ride the course with my friend Bruce. We took mental note and strategized on where we could gain time, it was more of a fly by then a warm up.

Even with having not slept the night before, suffering from a toothache, cracked out on vasocor, and having not warmed up properly I still had high expectation for myself. So after the race when I noticed I was second to last-only to the DNF my heart dropped. In line to start I began to talk to everyone around and I got into a lengthy conversation with a 15-year-old named Doug. Doug, 15, 6’1″, 140 lbs, rear disk, 808 front, wearing a state champion skin suit was going to be 30 seconds behind me. Jaw drops to the floor, any illusions of salvaging dignity goes out the window.

15 seconds… 10… 5. 4. 3. 2. 1. GO!
And everything went. Everything. My pain, the sleepiness, everything gone and all I could think of was moving my legs. And move them I did.
At first it was all a blur just concentrating on getting up to speed without spending too much gas. Then I hear a little voice in my head say “Target acquired.” There he was about 50 yards away from me I could see he was going strong but I know I could catch him. About 2 miles in I noticed a change in cadence and knew I had him, all I had to do was hold steady and I would catch him soon enough. Realizing how fast I caught him I began to wonder if I was going too hard too soon but before I had time to digest that thought Doug was on my left passing me by as if I was still on training wheels. Now I’m not going to say that I have an ego or anything but I was not going to be passed by anyone on a time trial. I adjusted my grip on my clip on aero bars and gave it hell.

Back and forth we went it seemed that the kid was just as bent on passing me as I was to not get past. I would attack on the rollers and flats he would gain on the inclines. We continued on in the teeter-totter like motion for the entire course. Just when I thought i was going to drop him he would come back and pass me up again, the kid would not quit. Finally 500 meters from the finish I remembered one important piece of information, after being out gunned from the start of the race in my impromptu TT bike I still had drops where he had bull horns. I let my hands fall to the drops and began to wind-up……….. I could see his shadow growing smaller and smaller. 400m, 300m, 200m! I flicked my thumb out to shift just once more but I just could not reach. I tried again and just said “THE HELL WITH IT!” I took my cadence as high as I could out of saddle in the range of 130 rpm’s. I never looked back.

The last thing I remember is a mob of people at the finish line yelling, screaming, and ringing a cow bell. I knew the race was over but I had no idea how I had done.

DFL. Dead Fucking Last is what I was told. The only person I was ahead of was the poor guy why had a mechanical along the way and had to walk him bike back. What a sad walk of shame that must have been but at least he could keep his head up and say “If I had not flatted…” I on the other hand had nothing to do but put my tail between my legs and crawl into the nearest hole and promptly die.

Still in shock I had to wait for someone to put into words what I could only hope for, “That has to be a mistake.” And after a little bit of sorting out my time went from 26.46 to 21.01. As luck would have it, Gus who had placed 1st in the same race just a few months ago did so with the exact same time as I got today. Today that same time was only good for 6th place and even if I do not consider everything 6th place is not a bad way to start the season.

I started up a blog on wordpress about my training and races this year. I'm no writer but if you have nothing to do...
http://ohmannuel.wordpress.com