Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Health, Diet and Nutrition
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Health, Diet and Nutrition As with any medical advice received on the innernet, buyer beware, and you really should run it by your doctor first.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Cat 4ish

My Photos: (6)
ohmannuel is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Default Vitamins, Supplements, and Herbs, Oh my!

I searched for a "What are you taking?/Vitamins, Supplements, and Herbs" thread and didn't find any. If there already is a thread like this point me in the right direction please.

I'm sick of going to GNC or whatever and asking for advice on how to better my output and them not having a clue. So I figured if anyone is going to know about endurance supplements it's going to be the athletes themselves.

I figure this will be a great thread to post reviews on what we take. As well as ask questions on what we might want to consider trying.

I take One a day multivitamin the gummy one (I know but they taste so good)
2,000mg of Schiff Glucosamine
and
AMP amplified maxertion N.O.
I would love to know what everyone else takes and how it helps.

ps
I was taking EP-No and I loved it I felt like it really helped me as far as sustained energy during a hard ride.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Like I'm On Crazy Pills

My Photos: (0)
scootcore is on a distinguished road

the hammer nutrition site has a ton of information about just this stuff....

www.hammernut.com

well worth a check. their endurolytes are irreplaceable when it gets hot!!!!

http://bmmotivated.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/scootcore
Old 08-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Base-building

My Photos: (15)
VegaVixen is on a distinguished road

First and foremost, eat a healthy, balanced diet, with plenty of water for hydration.

Beyond that, ingest a bit more complex carbos post-strenuous workout, while your blood insulin levels are high ("carb-replenishment") and perhaps prior thereto (aka, "carb-loading").

What are your specific training goals? Personal bests, or cattin' up to a more competitive level? How are you training physically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
I feel like the blonde who walked into a building: You'd think I would've seen it.
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure...." - Julia Child

Last edited by VegaVixen : 08-20-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Royal Grand Exalted Pooba

My Photos: (13)
smoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen View Post
First and foremost, eat a healthy, balanced diet, with plenty of water for hydration.

Beyond that, ingest a bit more complex carbos post-strenuous workout, while your blood insulin levels are high ("carb-replenishment") and perhaps prior thereto (aka, "carb-loading").

What are your specific training goals? Personal bests, or cattin' up to a more competitive level? How are you training physically?
yeah, yeah, yeah

yada yada yada yada

pills. take pills. the simple, fast approach. if you ate everything you were told to get all the nutrients, etc you need from food, you'd never leave the table. and you'd weigh 580 kilos. not pounds, kilos.

i've read two studies that said there are only 2 supplements that have been proven to actually be of benefit to you; a multivitamin and fish oil. i take both

i also take glucosamine. my knees can feel a small but noticeable difference when i quit taking it. my right knee is bad enough; i'll give it all the help i can

i also take magnesium. it's supposed to help muscle function

i used to take calcium, but lately calcium supplements have been linked to heart trouble, so i gave it up. of course, there are those that say i have no heart (see: political section)

i've also found that Bass Ale, Stella Artois, Sierra Nevada, most any Sauvignon Blanc, and Grey Goose with grapefruit juice are excellent supplements as well. take AT LEAST five servings a day
ďA democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship." - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America
Old 08-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Male Member

MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

I alone keep the vitamin industry solvent. If I am seen taking my array of vitamins in public people think I have some terminal ailment. I have never felt better and I donít look my age. I contribute this to eating healthy (a lot of fresh fruit, vegetables and fish), getting 7-8 hours of sleep on a set schedule and taking supplements. Athletes/active people need more than sedentary people.

You donít have time to read all that I take but I would recommend taking these daily on a full stomach: (These are individual gel caps or tablets. Whenever possible take gel caps instead of hard tablets.)
  • B12 Complex
  • Vitamin C
  • Vitamin D
  • Vitamin E
  • Fish Oil
  • Potassium
  • Calcium
Soy (especially just after cycling-sometimes twice a day depending on your workout/s)
Some red wine at dinner but not before or after big rides.
I also recommend a fiber supplement everyday such as Citrucel.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 AM
n00b

Crooks is on a distinguished road

Vitamin E is best for the stamina and running.That is why it is preferred for professional runners and the weight lifters.It is also good for the heart and physical strong ness.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Base-building

My Photos: (15)
VegaVixen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooks View Post
Vitamin E is best for the stamina and running.That is why it is preferred for professional runners and the weight lifters.It is also good for the heart and physical strong ness.
Which is better? alpha-tocopherol or gamma-tocopherol? What about tocotrienols? alpha, beta, gamma, or delta? Please respond with fast ness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
I feel like the blonde who walked into a building: You'd think I would've seen it.
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure...." - Julia Child
Old 04-26-2012, 12:11 PM

M2M is on a distinguished road

sport legs and endurolytes - for those long, climbing rides I seam to be doing a lot of these days
Old 05-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Cat 4ish

My Photos: (6)
ohmannuel is on a distinguished road

I take some of the basics here:
Multivitamin-Ultra Man sport
fish oil-Centrum PRO nutrients
also I take:
Iron 27mg
L-Glutamine 500mg
AMP N.O. (niacin,l-arginine, polyethylene glycol)
When I ride I use ESN (Ergogenic Sports Nutrition) Fuel ISO for my drinks and post ride I use ESN's Re-Fuel
Old 09-19-2012, 09:15 AM
n00b

photomania01 is on a distinguished road

Long trip need more energy and some Vitamin suplement to cover it, I usually buy it from online store mostly more cheaper than off line store