Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Cycling Discussions
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Cycling Discussions What do you ride? What did you buy? Will this work with my BB?

Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 PM
n00b

My Photos: (1)
MusicLuvr is on a distinguished road
Default First "Adult" Bike

I am a complete newbie to the world of cycling and bikes in general, I know next to nothing about bikes. The only thing that I know is that I would like a hybrid bike, because I might one day like to take longer rides but that would be in the future. I started stationary biking after I hurt my knee 2 years ago (almost good as new now!) and liked it. Since I don't drive, I would like a bike to have some independence. Sadly, all my savings is gone because two of my sewing machines (over 20 years old they were my grandmothers) broke and had to buy new ones. Luckily, I got a really good deal, both cost under $300 dollars when they normally cost upwards of $900 dollars (family friend who sells sewing machines)! But now I have a max budget of $200 for a bike. There are a few I like, but don't know if they are good, I would use the bike for short errands of 5 miles or less and use a bike plus public transportation for longer distances. I like the Diamondback Kalmar, Diamondback Vital 1, Genesis Terra 700cc Hybrid and the Schwinn Admiral. I have done some research through other sources and people have said that anything under $300 dollars is a waste, but it is either a bike or no roof over my head, and I like a roof over my head, lol! I prefer the last two bikes simply because they are more in my price range and like that the Genesis has 21 speeds. Can anyone tell me which is a good bike for someone like me. Oh, by the way, I have not ridden a "real" bike since I was about 10 y/o, so a simple bike would suffice for me.

Thank You for taking the time to read this!

MusicLuvr
Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Base-building

My Photos: (17)
VegaVixen is on a distinguished road

Hi, ML, and welcome to SCBF! Congratulations on your decision to dive into the world of cycling!

I saw your earlier post, but wanted to have some time to look up the bikes you had posted as possibilities before responding.

Can't say that I have a lot of experience with hybrid bikes, but after looking at the ones you're thinking about, I'd say you probably can't go wrong with any of them, given your budget. But I would recommend that you make sure that you somehow manage to try them out. Check with Performance Bikes to see if they have any of them on the floor that you could take for a quick spin. The big-box stores likely won't let you do this.

Ideally, you need to find someone in the area who can help you figure out what size bike you really need, and to help fit it to you, even a low-end bike. Otherwise, you could wind up with knee/hip/back/shoulder/neck pain, and you'll learn to hate rather than love cycling! Not good!

Take the weight of the bike into account with regard to where you will be parking it at night. Taking a 30lb bike up and down even one flight of stairs every day gets old, even if it is good exercise. Aluminum might be lighter than steel, though not always.

Be sure to get "quick-release" (aka, "QR") hubs on your wheelset. This means you don't need tools to get the wheel off to change a tube if you have a flat. Otherwise, you'll need a wrench, especially with some big-box store bikes.

Also, if you're running errands, consider a bike with a rack, and/or capability to add on a pannier (look this up) so that you can carry groceries, books, etc.

Find someone who can help you learn how to change a tube by yourself (or look it up on EweTube), and develop a relationship with a bike shop so that as the bike needs maintenance, you can learn something about it (you will pay for them to do it, of course, but they may be willing to show you some simple things like adjusting your derailleurs and brakes that you can do for yourself).

Don't forget the accessories you will need as you consider your budget. Definitely get a helmet. Doesn't have to be expensive to meet the minimum certification criteria for safety. In some really high-speed crashes, helmets may or may not make a big difference. But at the low speeds you'll be riding at as an urban commuter, helmets make a big difference in keeping you safe. Helmet is a must. You'll also need at least a multi-tool (look it up), a frame pump, a water bottle and cage for it, a small tool bag in which to carry the multi-tool along with a spare tube and a few other emergency items, maybe a bell and handlebar-mounted mirror, a reliable and secure lock, a flashing light for the rear (so that motorists can see you more easily), and something to keep your right pantleg from getting caught in the chain.

For your stated purposes, just about any low-end bike will do. But if you think you may want to ride longer distances eventually, you should perhaps consider saving a bit more and go for a bike that you can buy from a bike shop. Even a low-end bike bought at a bike shop will have better post-purchase customer service associated with it than you'll get at a big-box store. It'll also have better resale value so that you can save money and eventually upgrade to a better commuter bike (maybe a Surly Crosscheck or the like). Check out some of the practical advice under "Buyer's Guide" from this shop in SD.

No doubt, others here will chime in to offer more support and advice. We always love to see new faces wanting to get on bikes! It's just a little slow here at the moment because it's summer and everyone is out riding!

Patience, and you'll start hearing from others here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
I feel like the blonde who walked into a building: You'd think I would've seen it.
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure...." - Julia Child
Old 07-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Embracing the fredness

My Photos: (2)
herbm is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile

Welcome aboard.....
Vega gave you great advice.

One thing that might be worth checking is Craigslist. You can come up with awesome bikes that might be right in your budget, and get something even better than
you could afford at a store!

Most of all, enjoy riding!!!
Check for local clubs or store rides. Most have many levels, so there should be one for every level of rider. These can help you getting to know local paths, tricks on avoiding bad traffic areas, the best coffee places (most important!).
Old 07-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Exuberantly

My Photos: (1)
Red Rider is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile

Vega and herb gave good advice. Welcome, and have fun!

If my breasts were any perkier, I'd have to have a Tupperware party.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Seat Sniffer

My Photos: (5)
Biker395 is on a distinguished road

Yea, good advice from both!

I bought a $200 hybrid a couple of months ago, and I ride it 35 miles round trip to work once a week or so. It weighs a ton, but if you're not doing hills, so what?

VV's advice:

Herb's advice is also sage. Unless you're getting a quality bike and want to establish a relationship with a particular shop, there's no reason not to pick up a bike on Craigslist or Ebay. More bike for the $ if you buy used.

Dunno where you live, but if you could get hooked up with a good bike club, they would help you out, and they'd have beginner rides to get you started, too. If you live in LaLa land, that could include one of us schmoes.

Careful ... cycling is addicting!

www.photo395.com
Well, spank my quads and call me Kristin!
Old 07-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Base-building

Only caveat about buying from Craigslist is you need to be sure you buy a bike that fits you, and not just a bike that's the right price. See my recommendation above to have someone help fit the bike to you.

Quote:
I feel like the blonde who walked into a building: You'd think I would've seen it.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Seat Sniffer

My Photos: (5)
Biker395 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen View Post
Only caveat about buying from Craigslist is you need to be sure you buy a bike that fits you, and not just a bike that's the right price. See my recommendation above to have someone help fit the bike to you.
Si. And all the better if he looks like ... oh ... say David Beckham?

www.photo395.com
Well, spank my quads and call me Kristin!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Base-building

Sorry. That would make me give up cycling.

Quote: