Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Rides and Reports
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rides and Reports Looking for people to ride with? Have pics of your last ride?

Old 07-07-2012, 05:18 AM
Base-building

My Photos: (12)
VegaVixen is on a distinguished road

Linky no worky, RR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
I feel like the blonde who walked into a building: You'd think I would've seen it.
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure...." - Julia Child
Old 07-07-2012, 02:52 PM

My Photos: (0)
fishymamba is on a distinguished road

Another CVC ride. Got to the start late, so I had to catch up a little bit. Went down Portrero to PCH, took PCH to Latigo(little bypass near Zuma Beach), went up Latigo, and back to the start. Longer than usual ride, legs were dead by the end.

http://app.strava.com/rides/12753081
Old 07-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Male Member

MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

I met three others at the Malibu Bluffs to ride up Latigo, Mulholland Hwy and PCH. We left at 8 a.m. in thick overcast with arm warmers on. About half way up Latigo we had some sun, but no real heat. Arm warmers came off and never went on again. At the end of Latigo and Kanan Dune we picked up PV0463 and became five riders. I finally got to meet PV0463. Way cool. Nice quiet man and good rider. I hope we can do some more rides together.

We all rode together until we left Leo Carrillo State Beach rest stop. I am not sure how everyone went after that, but PV0463 had a route to get home and two others took a more direct way back. My riding partner and I went on north to Las Posas Road trading off pulls. Las Posas Road was our turn around point.

We headed back still trading pulls but with shorter pull times as the wind albeit not a head wind was presenting problems. I started to fade after a short period and suck wheel most of the way back until the SFVBC ride came by. I quickly found myself alone, but only being about 8-10 out no big deal. I successfully make it back to the Malibu Bluffs just after 1 a.m. to find two of our riders still there.

Nice and cool all day along the coast which is just what I went there for. I saw many riders out and in many groups too. When riding I wish more would wave back to me though.

63 miles; 4,167 feet
Old 07-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Exuberantly

My Photos: (1)
Red Rider is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile

We'd planned to leave at 7:30 for a 2 hr. ride so Mr. RR had plenty of time to get his stuff organized to fly his hang glider on the coast.

I overslept and once we finished breakfast it was 8...so I missed the deadline. We forged on; cleaned the downstairs & 2 of 3 bathrooms, picked half the peaches off the tree, mowed, trimmed and weeded front & back yards, grabbed a sandwich, and he was off with Ms. RR and the dogs, and I was left to...ride my bike!

I think it was 98* when I left, and got hotter as I went along, and as I was already behind in hydrating I started feeling the effects about 17 mi. into the ride. I tried denial for a couple more miles but it didn't work. Pulled over into a wee spot of shade for about 5 min., sucked down a Gu, 1/2 a bottle of water, and watched 2 thermals spin up dust 200+ feet, like they were dirt hurricanes. Finished the ride in 101* -- glad I stopped when I did. Took several tall glasses of water to cool me down.

If my breasts were any perkier, I'd have to have a Tupperware party.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:44 AM
FSU Bulldogs Red Wave

My Photos: (10)
pv0463 is on a distinguished road

Good to put faces to the names I see on the forums. Enjoyed meeting you all in person. Nice ride down Mulholland (why is it that the downhill is so much more enjoyable and fast) and up the coast. I tried to hang with the fast two, but couldn't. Ended up at the Las Posas off-ramp as they started the homeward leg.
Headed up Las Posas to Camarillo for a 50-miler. It was very, very fun.
Went out this morning after watching Stage 8. The Canton of Bern is where some of the in-law family live, so watching the riders going through some of that landscape made me wish I were there. Got a flat 20 miles in, with lots of water to battle the heat.

Mark, I'm with you. Not enough people wave anymore. And some pass so close that almost rub the bar tape...without a hint of an 'on-your-left' warning.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:18 PM

nesdog is on a distinguished road

Rock Store climb, 3rd weekend in a row I've lowered the PR! Down to 16:45 on the Strava Actual Climb segment. I've been riding more this year and it must be making a difference.
90 degrees out there. lots of traffic, especially on Mulholland and Kanan. Everyone is heading to the beach...I surfed there yesterday and it was packed.

26 miles completing a skewed out and back.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Embracing the fredness

My Photos: (2)
herbm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv0463 View Post
Good to put faces to the names I see on the forums. Enjoyed meeting you all in person. Nice ride down Mulholland (why is it that the downhill is so much more enjoyable and fast) and up the coast. I tried to hang with the fast two, but couldn't. Ended up at the Las Posas off-ramp as they started the homeward leg.
Headed up Las Posas to Camarillo for a 50-miler. It was very, very fun.
Went out this morning after watching Stage 8. The Canton of Bern is where some of the in-law family live, so watching the riders going through some of that landscape made me wish I were there. Got a flat 20 miles in, with lots of water to battle the heat.

Mark, I'm with you. Not enough people wave anymore. And some pass so close that almost rub the bar tape...without a hint of an 'on-your-left' warning.
Great to meet you finally!!!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Male Member

MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

I left my house at about 6:30 a.m. with another SoCal Rider to beat the heat and get in some easy miles before we would meet our other cycling friends in Montrose for coffee. Riding the streets on an early Sunday morning is the hot ticket. Minimal traffic, cool and fairly quiet.

I rolled into the Montrose Coffee Bean at mile 47 to see 10 already seated and enjoying the morning coffee. It was great to see everyone together and a couple of SoCal RiderS ladies I have not seen in a while. Good times.

We all left together for an easy social ride back when one of the gals broke a spoke on the rear wheel. No issues other than taping the broken spoke to a good one and opening up the brakes to make it all workable.

It was hot out but we have a breeze here today which makes it feel okay. I rolled into the driveway just before 1 p.m. to the greetings of the SO and my two dogs, one of which who had been playing in the water from the garden hose. She loves to bite at the water spraying out, but wet dogs smell. Shell does not care I tell you.

64.8 miles; 2,768 feet
Old 07-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Exuberantly

My Photos: (1)
Red Rider is on a distinguished road

Another hot day for a bike ride. Even though we left 2 hrs. earlier than yesterday, it was still in the 90s and, well, ugh. Just no snap in the legs...probably should've taken the day off, but Mr. RR really wanted to get the tandem out, and I pretended I could hammer with him.

OTOH, any day we can get out on the bike together is a win, another opportunity to share some fun on two wheels.

If my breasts were any perkier, I'd have to have a Tupperware party.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:33 PM
FSU Bulldogs Red Wave

My Photos: (10)
pv0463 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesdog View Post
Rock Store climb, 3rd weekend in a row I've lowered the PR! Down to 16:45 on the Strava Actual Climb segment. I've been riding more this year and it must be making a difference.
90 degrees out there. lots of traffic, especially on Mulholland and Kanan. Everyone is heading to the beach...I surfed there yesterday and it was packed.

26 miles completing a skewed out and back.
WOW! 16:45; I did it yesterday morning, and I clocked myself at 21:56; close enough to call it 22:00. That was from the first yellow turn warning sign right after the mobile home park to the very top, by the gate where everybody stops to wait for the slow ones
I have a lot of work to do to get to your level. The heat does not help. And the crotch rockets 'pinching' me right on the steepest part of some of the turns scare the bejezus out of me. Got to keep trying, though.