Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Rides and Reports
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rides and Reports Looking for people to ride with? Have pics of your last ride?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:42 PM

My Photos: (0)
fishymamba is on a distinguished road

Did my second crit practice today. Did worse than the first time. Ate 3 hours before the ride and I kept on feeling like I was going to throw up after hard surges. Getting better at cornering, didn't stop pedaling through the corners this time.

Ride to practice-http://app.strava.com/rides/13236502

Crit Practice-http://app.strava.com/rides/13236496

I was pretty much the slowest one there....but still not giving up!
Old 07-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Exuberantly

My Photos: (1)
Red Rider is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile

Our local free TT practice features a pro photographer who comes out to local races and the TT rides and takes great pics. This is from Wednesday's new PR ride.

If my breasts were any perkier, I'd have to have a Tupperware party.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:55 PM
FSU Bulldogs Red Wave

My Photos: (10)
pv0463 is on a distinguished road

No ride today :-(
Woke up with a MAJOR headache; the same that I went to bed with last night. I've cut down on the coffee all this week, so I thought a little caffeine deprivation will do that. Well, I watched some of the tour coverage and prepared the bike (while drinking lots of water, since dehydration might have been the cause). Got the dizzies. Hmm, not good.
Went back in the house and laid down; had some coffee; had some Tylenol. No change.
I just woke up from a nap, which turned out to be about two hours long.
Feeling better; who would've thunk it?
Old 07-14-2012, 03:59 PM

My Photos: (5)
nesdog is on a distinguished road

Hope you feel better, Peter!
Old 07-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Male Member

MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

Wow! Thirteen riders showed up for this ride. Just kidding, no one but me did this ride. Was it the 6:30 a.m. start time, the miles, the remote start or me?

It was 60 degrees at the start and foggy. Clear or red lenses and arm warmers were in order and I was using them. About 8 miles into the ride the arm warmers came off and I never needed them again. The coast was fogged in and at one point I had droplets on my glasses and helmet. There were a lot of TT riders out at this hour and many others using aero bars. I saw this all day.

When I turned on Encinal Canyon Road it was 62 degrees and I had not seen any sun. Half way up Encinal I had sun and when I reached Mulholland Hwy it was 82 degrees. I was feeling pretty good at this point probably due to the cool temperatures. One rider emailed last night and said this ride needs a bonus climb so I decided to add in Little Sycamore Canyon Road. Why not I was going right by it? I rode to the top of Sycamore and turned around to continue on my planned route. This added about 6 miles and approximately 800 feet of elevation.

I connected back with PCH and the weather had not changed much. No real sun and I was reading 74 but it felt more like 68 degrees. I really did not have any wind conditions so I was thinking no tail wind home. I made the turn around, Las Posas Road, were I snacked then headed back. No real winds of any kind yet. Somewhere after passing Leo Carrillo State Beach I started to pick up a small tail wind. It was noticeable and helpful. Around Zuma Beach I also hooked up with three TT riders heading back to Santa Monica. We all seemed well matched except for the climbs. I had just a little more in the tank then they did. Funny thing is for TT riders they were doing a century ride too and our completed miles were very close. We all played cat and mouse while riding back along the beach having a good friendly time. These three even ended up returning up San Vicente with me. I jokingly said we should ride together more often.

My cadence was high and steady for this ride and I felt good all day. I thought I did well with my fueling too. There is no doubt cool temperatures helped me out.

103.9 miles; 5,410 feet
Old 07-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Male Member

MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv0463 View Post
No ride today :-(
Woke up with a MAJOR headache; the same that I went to bed with last night. I've cut down on the coffee all this week, so I thought a little caffeine deprivation will do that. Well, I watched some of the tour coverage and prepared the bike (while drinking lots of water, since dehydration might have been the cause). Got the dizzies. Hmm, not good.
Went back in the house and laid down; had some coffee; had some Tylenol. No change.
I just woke up from a nap, which turned out to be about two hours long.
Feeling better; who would've thunk it?
PV, from my experience when one wants to cut back on coffee it should be done gradually until you reach the point of consumption you are striving for. Otherwise, you could get headaches, etc.

I am also a big proponent of naps. You gave your body just what it needed and now you feel better. Good work. You can ride another time.

Lastly, I believe you have mentioned dizzy a couple of times now. How about you discuss this with the SO? Perhaps it needs looking into, time for a physical?
Old 07-14-2012, 07:57 PM

TJKnight is on a distinguished road

Rode with The Brethren and the SFVBC from Encanto to Cloudburst and back to Pasadena today. Large group of 25-30 riders at the start, but I was not into the long regroups at every possible rest stop, so I was riding solo from Red Box to Newcomb's, then a couple riders joined me for the climb up to Cloudburst. I got stung by a wasp two miles before Newcombs, and I met and chatted with a few cool people on today's ride. It was hot up there today! Rode back from Cloudburst to home nonstop.

89, 9k.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:12 PM

My Photos: (4)
vertical bob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJKnight View Post
Rode with The Brethren and the SFVBC from Encanto to Cloudburst and back to Pasadena today. Large group of 25-30 riders at the start, but I was not into the long regroups at every possible rest stop, so I was riding solo from Red Box to Newcomb's, then a couple riders joined me for the climb up to Cloudburst. I got stung by a wasp two miles before Newcombs, and I met and chatted with a few cool people on today's ride. It was hot up there today! Rode back from Cloudburst to home nonstop.

89, 9k.
Saw you going down from CB this afternoon. All day I kept seeing riders I knew, some I hadn't seen in a while. Finished the bike path to Encanto with Clem Bartoli of double hall of fame. Great day in the mtns.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:27 PM

fishymamba is on a distinguished road

I think I was in the same group as these two ^

Nice ride, we were planning to do an extension to Westfork/GMR, but it was too hot.

http://app.strava.com/rides/13393734
Old 07-15-2012, 08:05 AM

M2M is on a distinguished road

I miss the Mountains :~( - working a second job sucks but,,,have to pay for all the toys