Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Rides and Reports
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rides and Reports Looking for people to ride with? Have pics of your last ride?

Old 07-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Male Member

My Photos: (0)
MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

I got going before 7 a.m. I rode around and around then came back over La Tuna Canyon. On the descent the cousin to the wasp that stung TJKnight yesterday got me in the right upper leg. It really hurt until I removed the stinger all while riding mind you. A mortal man would have been paralyzed by this, but I keep a steady cadence.

Nice temperature with a breeze today. I was home before noon.

62.4 miles; 3,117 feet
Old 07-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Exuberantly

My Photos: (1)
Red Rider is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile

The dogs insisted they needed to go out at 6:15, so I let Mr. RR sleep in, and indeed he did. We didn't get out until nearly 10. And that worked out just fine. We had a fun, easy ride in which I pulled more than the Mr., as part of my training. Nice to be out at midday and not fried at the end of it.

If my breasts were any perkier, I'd have to have a Tupperware party.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Male Member

I rode Big-T to Clear Creek to Mount Wilson in cool head winds. My bike computer was reading 88 & 93 degrees at times, but with the cooler winds the real feel was like 73 degrees. If the sun had ever gotten cover I would have needed arm warmers and a vest, but that never happened.

With this wind I would not go over 30mph on the descents. It just gets too unstable for me with those conditions. SoCal RiderS have a motto and it is even on the jersey. “Live to Ride” “Ride to Live”, in this case I chose the latter. I practice the former when I am not riding.

After Mount Wilson I proceed on up Angeles Crest Hwy where at mile 44 just after the 5k foot elevation sign I decided it was time to turn around and head for home. Never stopped anywhere on the way home just rode along enjoying myself.

I did see those two woodpeckers at Red Box I reported on last week. They have finished their home and it appears to be working for them.

76.6 miles; 7,543 feet
Old 07-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Cat 4ish

My Photos: (6)
ohmannuel is on a distinguished road

Even though I have not posted I still keep up on this thread especially.
Today was going to be a big mountainous day but I just didn't feel like riding 25 just to get to my ride, or the less wanted 25 back after the ride. So I just stayed local and was still able to get 4000 feet in 48 miles. Rode with a friend who's not as strong but has a great jump so he pushed me to follow and I pushed him to keep going. Great SoCal day.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Exuberantly

We rode the tandem tonight, really nice conditions -- mid-80's, breezy but not bad, light traffic, excellent company. After 2 days off this was a very welcome ride.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Base-building

My Photos: (17)
VegaVixen is on a distinguished road

Rode my newly repaired Scott for the first time in two years!

Did my favorite 22-miler (with heat index in upper 90F's ): 17.2mph avg with just 925' of climbing. Felt great to be able to reliably shift gears out on the road again!

Next time, I'll take a second water bottle. And ride a little earlier. Just too hot around noon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
I feel like the blonde who walked into a building: You'd think I would've seen it.
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure...." - Julia Child
Old 07-21-2012, 08:27 PM
FSU Bulldogs Red Wave

My Photos: (10)
pv0463 is on a distinguished road

Managed to get out for 40 miles today. It was hot. Like brutally hot. Rolled out at about 8, before Wiggo, Froome, and Tejay actually finished. I wanted to beat the heat, and was only partially successful. I wanted to hit the Rockstore before it got too hot, but decided against it; I sure am glad I did.
So, I climbed over to Hidden Valley and Newbury Park, cruised around Dos Vientos, and headed home. For the local folks, the downhill on Borchard into NP is an e-ticket: straight down, smoooooooooth pavement, and wide bike lane.
I tried a new drink today, and was not too terribly impressed (lemon lime flavored GU electrolytes). It tasted a little bitter. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 07-22-2012, 07:07 AM
Base-building

My Photos: (17)
VegaVixen is on a distinguished road

Got out yesterday for a 40-mile poker ride, with just 1375' of cumulative climbing. Only avg'd 16mph as the group seemed to be more interested in chatting and socializing, and I didn't know the area or the route so I couldn't ride ahead.

Will never ride from that shop (a triathlon shop) again. Those folks were squirrelly as hell, not holding their lines and riding up on one another's wheels and then braking suddenly to avoid collision. I stayed two or more bike lengths behind anyone in front of me, which would piss off the people riding behind me (for what reason, I do not know, as they still had draft and the gap definitely wasn't growing). They'd ignore cars behind the group, and continue to ride side-by-side, just chatting away, instead of moving to single file to give the cars more room to pass safely. They'd turn at stopsigns without checking for themselves to see if there were cars coming, blindly following the rider in front of them! And when two stopped to change a tube, they didn't even get completely off the road, with a blind curve behind them! And the ride leaders did nothing to educate them.

Still, was fun to get out and ride my Scott again. But I'll keep looking for another, safer group to ride with 'til I can keep up with my usual experienced, safe, and courteous (non-shop) groups. I have missed riding with them, and even moreso after yesterday's experience....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
I feel like the blonde who walked into a building: You'd think I would've seen it.
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure...." - Julia Child
Old 07-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Male Member

I got a late start today, 6:45 a.m., so I had to do a good effort on Foothill Blvd. to make the time I needed. I wanted to meet up with the other SoCal RiderS for coffee in Montrose. I got in one quick lap at the Rose Bowl and headed off for the coffee meeting. Everyone was already there, but I did get some time with them before we all rode back home.

I was hot toward the end of the ride but it really did not bother me because of the breeze. I was home before noon. An added benefit of an early start.

64 miles; 2,608 feet
Old 07-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Exuberantly

I did the shop ride today. In retrospect I'll do my own rides so I can leave earlier -- this was hot, and I didn't drink enough, so the final solo 11 miles weren't as fun as they could have been.

Happy to get out and ride.

VV, I feel your pain. We have some strong non-race riders occasionally show up on the shop ride, and see some squirreliness that makes me either sprint ahead or drop back -- anything to get away from sketchy riders. Sorry, VV, you had to put up w/that. Hope you're back with your group soon.