Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Rides and Reports
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rides and Reports Looking for people to ride with? Have pics of your last ride?

Old 07-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Male Member

My Photos: (0)
MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

I rode to Red Box to check on the Wood Peckers today. They are still there and seem fine.

Riding up Big-T there was no air movement and I felt humidity. This part of the ride was overflow head band and sweat dripping from your nose ridding. When I got to Clear Creek it was hot too, but there was a constant breeze. I was tired and started to talk myself out of going to Red Box, but I felt better after setting in the shade and taking in some water so off to Red Box.

It is only five miles from Clear Creek to Red Box, but it is almost all climbing. There were no other bicyclist out in ANF today; at least I never saw any. Caltrans stopped me on the climb. They had two grass trimmers working the road edges. I was about mile form Red Box when I checked my bike computer for the temperature; 107 degrees. The breeze was keeping me vertical otherwise I would have not been able to do this.

At Red Box I sat for a while and drink water. As mention earlier the Wood Peckers were there and okay. A nice breeze while in the shade really set me up for the return. (Riding to Mount Wilson was out of the question-too hot.) I checked the bike computer as I was leaving, it had been in the shade, and the temperature was 92 degrees.

I rode all the way back on AC without stopping, but still needed about five miles before heading home so I rode over to the Rose Bowl. I never dropped down to the bowl I just rode over to it. That gave me enough miles.

When I was about 4 miles from home I was really feeling the heat so I check the temperature again. It was 104 degrees. I left that computer screen showing and just that fast it change to 105 and then again to 106. Surprisingly, I never felt like I was going to creator. This riding in the heat and not feeling its ill effects is unusual for me.

63.7 miles; 5,551 feet
Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 PM

TJKnight is on a distinguished road

I have been nursing a sprained ankle. I rode around Berkshire, Chevy, and the Rose Bowl just now for my first ride in a week for 18 miles. I brought an iced polar bottle, but it was not that hot out.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Male Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJKnight View Post
I have been nursing a sprained ankle. I rode around Berkshire, Chevy, and the Rose Bowl just now for my first ride in a week for 18 miles. I brought an iced polar bottle, but it was not that hot out.
Basketball again?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Exuberantly

My Photos: (1)
Red Rider is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile

I have a couple hilly road races in August so I decided it was time to hit the hills again.

http://app.strava.com/rides/14288886 is what resulted after I realized how little time I had. I'll take it -- better than nothing.

If my breasts were any perkier, I'd have to have a Tupperware party.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Exuberantly

Sorry for the ugly link. Still working on how to finesse this iPad.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Male Member

Not all rides start or finish like planned. I got ready this morning to ride and when I went out to my bike the rear tire was flat. In the final stages of fixing this I got a second call for potty. With my jersey pockets full for the ride and wearing bibs this was going to be another chore. Wheel back on potty and paper work done I mounted up to ride. Not even a mile from home I stopped because of a repetitive thump coming from the rear end of the bike up my seat post. I know this sound and feeling. The rear tire is not completely seated on the rim. I gently ride back to the house and take care of this problem and take off again.

The plan is to ride to Encanto Park and back. I know VB and JustMe ride this way on Tuesdays so I am hoping to run into them. I am thinking with my delayed start I may never see them. The weather is prefect to be out for a ride and I am enjoying myself. I arrive at Encanto Park just before 10 a.m. I saw no one I knew on the ride and no one is at the park. WTF-the bathrooms are still locked. I hang for about five and start back.

I think it was somewhere on Colorado Blvd. at a traffic signal I see three riders facing me. It is VB, JustMe and Laura. They see me and I wait for them to come across but VB tells me they turn left there so I follow. We all stop to have coffee and what not up the street at a sidewalk cafe. It is here I find out that they don’t take much of the route I was working on and where I ran into them was probably about the only point it would have happened. I was very fortunate for that to happen.

I had a very nice time riding back with everyone as they each peeled off for home. It was a great day to be out and have run into some riding buds.

66 miles; 3,510 feet
Old 07-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Exuberantly

I did this casual TT today. The official time is 25:00, Garmin says 24:58. I lean toward the faster time, of course, but I'm still where I need to be at this point in the season.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Male Member

Not all rides start or finish like planned. Today I met two others at the Commons in Calabasas to ride in the Santa Monica Mountains. We clipped in at 7 a.m. be beat some of the heat as I had laid out six hard climbs which should have given us close to 7k of climbing.

The three of us had just completed climb three having done Old-Topanga Canyon Road, Fernwood Pacific Drive and Topanga Canyon Blvd up from PCH. This was at about mile 32 when the two with me tangled and crashed. I think we were going about 10 mph or less, but it was a fast crash and put both of them on the street. I did not see it as I was the lead rider, but I knew what happened and stopped.

They crashed about 200-300 feet from a fire station so the paramedics responded on foot right away. They were there by the time I cleared one bike from the road and the two were up and off on the road side. One elected to call for pickup as she had some hamstring issue and was not able to ride. The other, albeit able to ride, was done so I guided him back to his car. Both bikes show a little wear, but are better off than these two. We will know more how they feel tomorrow.

Now I am at my truck and it is only 10:35 a.m. so I decide to ride north on Agoura Road. I end up at Lake Sherwood were I turn around. I got a flat front tire outbound so I could keep my skill set up. The tail wind home made up for that and the heat I was in at this hour of the day.

65.5 miles; 5,381 feet
Old 07-28-2012, 06:55 PM
FSU Bulldogs Red Wave

My Photos: (10)
pv0463 is on a distinguished road

I met up with a co-worker at his house in Ventura. He and I have known each other for a long time, but have only ridden together once (today was the second time). Started in Ventura, picked up the bike path to Ojai, went through the main drag in Ojai, by the Ojai Valley Inn (I have to stay there and play golf for a weekend), and onto the bottom of the Dennison Grade. That is where we turned left and 'got lost' in the Ojai negihborhoods around the area, until we came to the main highway (SR 33). We continued to meander through the Ojai and Oakview area until we found the bike path again and headed back.
Lots of riders out on the path, we managed to latch onto a nice little 5 to 6-rider train and shield ourselves from the headwind. Went through downtown Ventura and back to my friends house. Not a huge ride, only a little more than 46 miles, but very satisfying. I got home, laid down on the couch, and napped for about two-and-a-half hours.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Male Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv0463 View Post
I met up with a co-worker at his house in Ventura. He and I have known each other for a long time, but have only ridden together once (today was the second time). Started in Ventura, picked up the bike path to Ojai, went through the main drag in Ojai, by the Ojai Valley Inn (I have to stay there and play golf for a weekend), and onto the bottom of the Dennison Grade. That is where we turned left and 'got lost' in the Ojai negihborhoods around the area, until we came to the main highway (SR 33). We continued to meander through the Ojai and Oakview area until we found the bike path again and headed back.
Lots of riders out on the path, we managed to latch onto a nice little 5 to 6-rider train and shield ourselves from the headwind. Went through downtown Ventura and back to my friends house. Not a huge ride, only a little more than 46 miles, but very satisfying. I got home, laid down on the couch, and napped for about two-and-a-half hours.
I love napes and I did not get one today.