Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Cycling Discussions
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Cycling Discussions What do you ride? What did you buy? Will this work with my BB?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:03 PM
n00b

My Photos: (0)
RealEyes is on a distinguished road
Default Sorta New Rider

I'm coming from an early 90's Cannondale hardtail mtb. Never really rode it that hard, or offroad that much. But it was fast and really clean, smooth.

So, the guys at my office are all into specialized and one suggested I should get the 2013 Hardrock Sport 29er.

Then, my boss suggested I get the Epic Comp 29er.

Big difference in price, though!

Should I get the hardrock this weekend or save up and get the epic? I was thinking just go for the hardrock now and wait to see if I want to shell out that much on an epic later.

I will most likely upgrade the crank, pedals, put gripshifters on. That's it.

Don't know how much I will be doing trails and such but plan to ride to work most days.

I'm 6'2" and about 150lbs, the guy at the shop suggested an X-Large frame. At the office the guys are telling me just get a large. What gives?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 AM
Male Member

MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

Ride the bike you have now and save your money. You do not know where this is going to take you. (no pun intended)
Old 07-26-2012, 01:44 PM
intentionally left blank

zzzwillzzz is on a distinguished road

ask your boss for a raise, if he gives it to you buy the epic 29er.
go to a shop and ride a large and a xl and see what you like, the shop should be able to help on sizing
whether you buy new or keep the old one, buy slicks to ride to work.
if you can get an extra set of wheels cheap do that so that you have one set for street and one dirt.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:36 AM
looking for my road bike

jsigone is on a distinguished road

try to find deals on 2012 models, In about Sept-Oct those models should be weeded out by the 13's.

If you buy a $600 hard rock then add $150 cranks, and $2-300 in shifters....you might as well start looking at a bike that has everything you want or most of them and it will come with a better fork. Keep in mind a REBA 29er fork is about $600 new, hell any decent/plush 29er forks is $500 and up.

@ 6'2 your in between sizes, as I am. Go with what ever top tube length feel good. If the large sit you up too upright, then get the XL. You want to be stretched out some and will be upright on the climbs. Don't worry about stand over height too much, you will be riding the bike more then straddling the bike.

A good all around budget HT might be the Santa Cruz alum Highball starting at $1500(msrp) and comes with good parts.