Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Rides and Reports
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rides and Reports Looking for people to ride with? Have pics of your last ride?

Old 08-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Male Member

My Photos: (0)
MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

Wednesday-
I did not plan to ride today, but that changed which began a late start of about 10:15 a.m. I intentionally rode around very slowly all day trying not to stop because when you stopped you could feel the heat.

I ended up out in Sierra Madre setting in the shade at a park. There I talked with Larry a rider from South Pasadena. A very nice man training for his touring ride from Portland to Los Angeles in two weeks.

I have been taking in a lot of fluids since my return. I cannot seem to satisfy my thirst. Other than that I feel fine.

67.1 miles; 2,956 feet
Old 08-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Cat 4ish

My Photos: (6)
ohmannuel is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile

Today i might still get a ride in at night but Wed is becoming a weekly ride. Even has a snazzy name, Stacked Wednesday's. For the 2nd week in a row My friend and I rode to seal beach then to Dana Point. The reason, Stacks pancakes! Really it's the coconut syrup that has us going crazy. Either way it's an easy 100.

http://app.strava.com/rides/15987675
Old 08-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Exuberantly

My Photos: (1)
Red Rider is on a distinguished road

I could eat that stack o'pancakes in about 3 bites after today's ride.

I must be in poor shape for that to have hurt so much.

If my breasts were any perkier, I'd have to have a Tupperware party.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Male Member

I rode over to meet two others at 6:45 a.m. so we could all ride over to South Pasadena for the “Montrose Tempo Ride”. It hooks up with the early starters at about 8:30 a.m. and we were there with a pack waiting when they showed up.

I would guess there were 60 riders in the pack. You should not even attempt this ride unless you are comfortable and skilled in pack riding, pace lines and capable of riding 18-27mph in a group. The group even hit 30mph at one point. I was told it was not as “tempo” has it could have been.

The weather was good for this because we had no direct sun pounding down on us. It did make it a little humid but not too bad. I did well until the end at the small short climbs. Once you fall out of the pack you are toast.

The ride is really a short flat fast ride that works on your top end. I just have miles because I rode there and back home from Sierra Madre where it ends. I would do it again, but not try and take out other riders. (I almost took out my riding buddy as I got too close and almost hooked bars.)

73.6 miles; 2,198 feet
Old 08-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Poo Slacker

mkadam68 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAJ View Post
I rode over to meet two others at 6:45 a.m. so we could all ride over to South Pasadena for the “Montrose Tempo Ride”. It hooks up with the early starters at about 8:30 a.m. and we were there with a pack waiting when they showed up.

I would guess there were 60 riders in the pack. You should not even attempt this ride unless you are comfortable and skilled in pack riding, pace lines and capable of riding 18-27mph in a group. The group even hit 30mph at one point. I was told it was not as “tempo” has it could have been.

The weather was good for this because we had no direct sun pounding down on us. It did make it a little humid but not too bad. I did well until the end at the small short climbs. Once you fall out of the pack you are toast.

The ride is really a short flat fast ride that works on your top end. I just have miles because I rode there and back home from Sierra Madre where it ends. I would do it again, but not try and take out other riders. (I almost took out my riding buddy as I got too close and almost hooked bars.)

73.6 miles; 2,198 feet
Wish I'd known you were going to be there, I would have looked for you & said "Hi", seen if you needed anything.

FWIW, there are 2 Montrose rides/groups. The "tempo" ride, I thought (I could be mistaken--I often am) leaves Trader Joe's at 8:00. The 8:30 start is the normal "Montrose Ride" group. That's the faster of the two.

Definitely, though, make sure you have ridden around others before, and if you are new-ish to the ride, stay closer to the back of the pack where there's more space between riders.

Visit The C-Blog : the blog about cycling.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Exuberantly

My Photos: (1)
Red Rider is on a distinguished road

Monsoonal moisture arrived overnight, making today cloudy, and virga-filled. Rode this with Mr. RR, and we really enjoyed the absence of relentless sun beating down on us. Usually we're 95* and above this time of year. We barely reached 80 -- terrific!

If my breasts were any perkier, I'd have to have a Tupperware party.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:38 PM

TJKnight is on a distinguished road

Acton loop counter clockwise. Tried to beat the heat by starting at 7, but temps hit 95 three times, and we had a 10 mph headwind on Crown Valley Road. Beautiful day out there.

103/9.2k
Old 08-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Male Member

I rode over to meet two others for a 6:30 a.m. clip-in. We stayed local as the plan was to meet up with other SoCal RiderS at the Montrose Coffee Bean at 10 a.m. I had 50 miles when I rolled into the Coffee Bean. We did do one lap around the Rose Bowl and the place was busy, eye candy good!

We all hung around for some time just talking and not. Then we all rode back together one by one dropping off for home. It was getting noticeable hot as we finished the days ride.

67.8 miles; 2,641 feet
Old 08-05-2012, 02:12 PM
FSU Bulldogs Red Wave

My Photos: (10)
pv0463 is on a distinguished road

After yesterday's short effort, I got out today albeit a little late. I did my usual 5.5-mile warmup around the lake in Westlake, and started eastward. After stopping for a red light, I clipped in and heard a nasty 'pop' with a litlle tinny sound to it. Last time that happened, the crank arm of my Campy Athena group cracked. So I stop, look at the cranks, everything's fine. Start rolling, it sounds bad. Glanced at my rear wheel, and it is going all over the place. Snapped a spoke. First one ever. So I guess I'm so freakin' powerful!
Took both wheels to the bike shop to fix the one with the broken spoke and check the front one. Easton wheels. Special (Sapin?) spokes. Not getting the wheels back today. I think it's time to look at replacement wheels with more spokes. I have 24/28 now. Looking for a set with 32 spokes, at least. Anyone have any experience with American Classic wheels? Looking at the 350 BIGs.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Male Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJKnight View Post
Acton loop counter clockwise. Tried to beat the heat by starting at 7, but temps hit 95 three times, and we had a 10 mph headwind on Crown Valley Road. Beautiful day out there.

103/9.2k
Difficult without heat and head wind. Well done! (As in good job, not as in sunburned.)