Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Organized Rides
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Organized Rides For paid, organized rides (New threads will be moderated)

The Legacy Century: Ride the Ranch 2012
Calendar: Organized Rides
MarkAJ
Male Member

The Legacy Century: Ride The Ranch 2012

Tejon Ranch
4436 Lebec Road Lebec, CA
Registration Closing Date
Friday, August 31, 2012 @ 11:59 PM PST

100, 62, 25 and 5 mile rides

Brief Description
Tejon Ranch is located at the southern end of the San Joaquin Valley. At nearly 270,000 acres, Tejon Ranch is the largest private land in California. Its 422 sq. miles make it about as large as Los Angeles. The ride will begin inside the ranch amongst the majestic mountains surrounding the Grapevine. Cyclists will be privileged to ride the virgin roads of the ranch, where few cyclists have ever been. At 3,500 feet, the temperature should be about 20 degrees cooler than the valley floor.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Male Member

My Photos: (0)
MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

IN!
100 miler.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Embracing the fredness

My Photos: (2)
herbm is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAJ View Post
IN!
100 miler.

Which one? There are 3 century routes!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Male Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbm View Post
Which one? There are 3 century routes!
The hardest one because it does more of the ranch. Did you really need to ask?
Old 08-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Embracing the fredness

My Photos: (2)
herbm is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAJ View Post
The hardest one because it does more of the ranch. Did you really need to ask?
No....but figured others might want to know....

Looks like its going to be a tad warm there...
Old 08-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Lost Groomer

mtrider05 is on a distinguished road

Interesting route, I don't like how organized rides forgo riding Pine Canyon both directions, it's the best road in the area.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Male Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbm View Post
No....but figured others might want to know....

Looks like its going to be a tad warm there...
Jon and Nancy are riding and I plan to ride with them so what ever century they pick will work for me.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Male Member

This ride has a big WOW factor on all your senses during the first 25 miles. This not to say the rest of the route is not good, it is. These 25 miles made up of 10 mile out-n-back are all within the Tejon Ranch made up of undulating short climbs of 11%-14% grades with many 16% pops. All closed to traffic. It is here you might see elk, wild pig, cattle, rabbits or squirrels. Vista views and huge oaks trees abound. The area, other than the road, is untouched. (I did see one place where some excavation was on going, but I could not tell what it was about.) The road is in good condition with little debris. You do not want to miss this section regardless of your abilities. (50 degrees at the start warranted arm warmers, but that lasted for only 7 miles.)

All the roads we rode are in good condition and other than highway 138 coming back traffic was null. SAG was good too. All the rest stops had plenty of goodies and cold water everywhere as well as a electrolyte water mix. At two different times while I was alone in the mountains a SAG vehicle came along side me and asked if I wanted any cold water, nice!

The weather had a positive and negative effect today. It never got too hot probably due to the elevations and winds. But we did have 15-20mph head winds for the last 40 miles with gusts. This really torn me up as it did everyone else. There were a few times when my speed dropped below 7mph. I stopped in Gorman at Carl’s for a cold coke with only 10 or so miles to go. I needed something and a break.

The lunch at the end was still open at 4 p.m. when I left serving up BBQ chicken and tri-tip, salad and beans; soft drinks or cold water. They had plenty and it was good. One woman at the lunch was giving out popsicles too. All the volunteers were great and helpful.

There is one complaint I have. The route slips print was so small you cannot read it. They made the route slip one-sided and in order to accomplish this the font size was tiny. I am going to tell them about this. Speaking of the route; somewhere I missed a turn or road because I only came in with 93.3 miles and that was with me doing some bonus miles to get that. I have no idea what happened. Well maybe I do. Being I could not read the route slip I had to rely on the street markers, they used signs, and I must have missed one.

There was a goodie-bag which I give a big up on. It had snacks, a handle bar clip for your route slip, a Legacy patch and other stuff.

I would tell everyone to do this ride at least once. It is the only way you will ever get into the bowls of the Tejon Ranch and see this landscape (IMO) like California was probably 50 years ago.

93.3 miles; 6,634 feet