Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Rides and Reports
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rides and Reports Looking for people to ride with? Have pics of your last ride?

Old 09-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Male Member

My Photos: (0)
MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

Rode solo today, but I did see HerbM on Latigo and “Pink” Karen on PCH. After Lagito I rode Mulholland and Little Sycamore on into Yerba Buena to PCH. (Yerba Buena road conditions suck, but I knew that beforehand.) Out to the “Rock” on PCH where I turned around. I enjoyed a good tail wind riding back to the Brentwood start off of San Vicente and Gretna Greenway.

The weather was good all day (sunny, warm but cooled by the ocean winds). There is nothing like having the ocean on your right with that cool tail wind as the miles go by.

93.7 miles; 5,351 feet
Old 09-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Male Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrider05 View Post
Rode from Wrightwood-ish to Newcomb's, I think I bonked, it was absolutely horrible. http://app.strava.com/rides/21301059
That is a lot of climbing in 50 miles. Don’t be so hard on yourself. You are not getting paid to ride.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Lost Groomer

mtrider05 is on a distinguished road

Very true, Mark. I think I also crossed paths with zzzwwillzzz and TjKnight, not sure though.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:10 PM

TJKnight is on a distinguished road

Rode up to Mt Wilson with Rodger, who had never been to Wilson before. He's a strong rider, so it was no problem for him. We saw lots of other cyclists riding up to Wilson. But why stop there? We parted ways at the Upper Big T turnoff, and I continued on up AC to Dawson Saddle, stopping for three cokes at Newcomb's, of course, where I ran into will z. We chatted for a few minutes, but I wanted to roll on to Dawson. When I arrived, I ate my jersey burrito and enjoyed the cool weather under dark storm clouds. On the descent from Cloudburst, it poured on me, which was nice. I took it easy, and, though it was hot, felt good all day.

http://app.strava.com/rides/21305047
Old 09-08-2012, 11:46 PM
looking for my road bike

jsigone is on a distinguished road

super ride TJ!!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Exuberantly

My Photos: (1)
Red Rider is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile

For all your bonking & legs not cooperating those are some impressive Strava scores.

If my breasts were any perkier, I'd have to have a Tupperware party.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Exuberantly

The stats don't convey how much fun I had today. I've missed those folks.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Male Member

Why did it take seven hours to do 70 miles you ask?

I woke to a late night email invite to ride at 7:45 from Dock 52 in Marina Del Rey to PV. The SO does not like me riding solo so I decided to ride from my start, Brentwood, to Dock 52 and make the 7:45 call. It just went downhill from here.

The ride leader and all were 10 minutes late and it took 45 minutes before anyone clipped in. A short distance into the ride some wanted to ride the bike path on the beach! I do not ride MUPS (multiple use paths) especially when they are covered in sand. It is dangerous with noobs, children and the walking dead.

We have to stop a few times because one rider has diarrhea, and other has reoccurring chain drops. One rider has only ridden four times in his adult life and he is a smoker. He should have never been on this ride. I felt so bad for him I repeatedly went back for him and tried to keep him encouraged. He knows nothing about road biking (hand signals, calls, riding in a group). He does not even have bike shorts or a jersey. He does own a nice bike.

We are supposed to stop for coffee, which we did but it turns out to be a “trendy” breakfast place with a line 15 people deep to order. Of course our ride leader did not eat breakfast so he orders hot tomato soup and an espresso. We wait.

Being the outbound it south we faced head wind coming back. I like my rides north up PCH they have tail winds coming home. Also, riding around Marina Del Rey and PV is so popular with bicyclist, beach goers and traffic you are always in the thick of it. I will admit the eye candy is better in these areas then north.

I mean nothing bad on this group of riders so I don’t want anyone to take this write up wrong. But I think it will be a while before I ride to PV again.

72.2 miles; 2,667 feet
Old 09-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Exuberantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAJ View Post
Why did it take seven hours to do 70 miles you ask?

I woke to a late night email invite to ride at 7:45 from Dock 52 in Marina Del Rey to PV. The SO does not like me riding solo so I decided to ride from my start, Brentwood, to Dock 52 and make the 7:45 call. It just went downhill from here.

The ride leader and all were 10 minutes late and it took 45 minutes before anyone clipped in. A short distance into the ride some wanted to ride the bike path on the beach! I do not ride MUPS (multiple use paths) especially when they are covered in sand. It is dangerous with noobs, children and the walking dead.

We have to stop a few times because one rider has diarrhea, and other has reoccurring chain drops. One rider has only ridden four times in his adult life and he is a smoker. He should have never been on this ride. I felt so bad for him I repeatedly went back for him and tried to keep him encouraged. He knows nothing about road biking (hand signals, calls, riding in a group). He does not even have bike shorts or a jersey. He does own a nice bike.

We are supposed to stop for coffee, which we did but it turns out to be a “trendy” breakfast place with a line 15 people deep to order. Of course our ride leader did not eat breakfast so he orders hot tomato soup and an espresso. We wait.

Being the outbound it south we faced head wind coming back. I like my rides north up PCH they have tail winds coming home. Also, riding around Marina Del Rey and PV is so popular with bicyclist, beach goers and traffic you are always in the thick of it. I will admit the eye candy is better in these areas then north.

I mean nothing bad on this group of riders so I don’t want anyone to take this write up wrong. But I think it will be a while before I ride to PV again.

72.2 miles; 2,667 feet
You're a good man, Mark.

And that's why I ride mostly alone, or on the tandem. I want to help new riders, and I do, yet my tolerance for them decreases over time.

I did school a n00b today but in such a way that he thanked me for it. Yes, I'd be a decent diplomat, but it such away my ride time.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:46 AM

M2M is on a distinguished road

Getting soft there Mark - should have been on the HSFC - let's talk head winds !!!!
I guess you need a tour of PV with people that ride it on a regular basis !!