Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > About SoCal Bike Forums > Introductions / Questions and Comments
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introductions / Questions and Comments Welcome and tell us about yourself! Need to ask a mod anything? Post it here!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:24 PM
n00b

My Photos: (0)
Wallbank is on a distinguished road
Default Hi From Alhambra!!!!

Just bought my first road bike on saturday at Performance in Pasadena (Awesome guys there, great customer service, and patience). I purchased a 2012 Scattante CFR Comp.

Today I went for my official first ride at San Gabriel Trail. The first two miles were killer, my body kept telling to stop, legs were burning, breathing was all out of wack. I just told myself to keep pedaling you wuss, a little past the 3rd mile my 2nd wind kicked in and went okay from there.

This was my total for the first day 11.50 miles, Average speed was 13.8 mph.

I need your guys/gals input. I ride by myself for now, I eventually want to meet up with people and ride in a group. From the info above, what is a good measure that I'm ready to keep up with other riders, and also where do you guys/gals recommend to ride to build up my legs and lungs?

Super excited about starting this new hobby. When I would ride my fitness bike, and a group or a single road bike rider would swooosh by me, I would say darn they fast!!! I want to be that guy swoooshing by that I would look up to.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Poo Slacker

mkadam68 is on a distinguished road

Welcome!

To answer your question: there are groups for all kinds of riders. Fast. Slow. Old. Young. Short sprinter types. Long endurance types. Tri-geeks. Roadies. MTB-ers. Cyclo-cross riders. etc... Just have to find one you like.

I know PAA (Pasadena Athletic Association) has a bunch of diverse riders and rides. SoCal Forums (here) gets regular groups together to ride. And there are lots of others.

Some more details might help those who know to give more specific advice for your location.

Visit The C-Blog : the blog about cycling.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Male Member

MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

Just starting out you should work on “base” miles. Base miles are short flat rides to build up some strength in your neck and legs, aerobic and saddle time for your butt. You express a good attitude out the gate. Just keep it fun for now.

If you can find a beginners group do join them at times. Riding with a group is the best way to learn about bicycling. Ask questions and observe. Do not worry about speed or hill climbing. It will all come in time. You should be riding at least twice a week, three times is better.

Buy a second water bottle cage and bottle. You are going to need it sooner than later. Also get a saddle bag to carry some essentials such as: two spear tubes, patch kit, tire levers, three CO2 with a dispenser and/or a small pump. Make sure the tubes you buy have the correct value stem type and length. Practice removing a tire and replacing the tube at home under controlled conditions so you know what to do when you flat in the field. It is going to happen.

Here is some advice: (There is a lot more but it is a start.)
Be Visible!!
Wear Bright Colored Jerseys or Jackets during the day.
(Mostly for dawn and dusk.) Wear reflective clothing with front headlight, white front headlight. Also have blinking red rear taillights on bike or on back of helmet.

Be Predictable!!
(There are exceptions to these two, but for now work with it.)
Ride in a straight line at right side of lane.
If more than one cyclist ride in a single file.

Wear your helmet at all times!
Always have ID.
Plan your route to avoid congested traffic areas.

Signal Your Intentions!!
Use traditional car signals.
Left hand up for right turn.
Left hand out for left turns.
Left hand down for slowing.
OR Point in the direction you are going. (I use these two methods.)
Right hand point to right for right turn.
Left hand point left for left turn.

You might want to check out RoadID's Rules of the Road.

Good luck. Keep us informed of your progress.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 PM
n00b

Wow Mark thanks for all the info, it will be very helpfull as a beginner guide.

My plans for riding is three times a week. I will ride two times a week to work(10 miles total round trip), and sat or Sunday(or both depending). What do you think is a good amount of miles to do. Just want to have some sort of measuring stick to make sure I'm not cutting it short.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Male Member

MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

10-15 miles until that becomes easy. Then move it up to 15-20, etc. I am talking about your weekends here because you have two work days at 10 miles each and that is good. Remember, right now you are building your base miles. BTW: Watch out in that commuting traffic as you ride to work. EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED so you can react before it is too late. This is true for other bicyclist and pedestrians too.

When you can ride 40-50 miles with your neck not bothering you and you can still stand up when you get home. Start adding in some hills. The only way you get good/strong at riding hills or mountains is to ride them. Once you move into the longer miles or mountains you are in a new realm. Proper nutrition before and after the ride, hydration and fueling during the ride become critical. All of which will be a learning curve.

Never leave your bike unattended. I hope you have secured storage while at work. I am telling you now a bike with a cable locked outside will be stolen.

Bicycling is dangerous sport and can be expensive, but its benefits are profound and more than you realize today. Whatever type of cycling you end up enduring just keep it fun and it will serve you well.

When you understand these statements you have been riding for a while: (I cannot take credit for any of them.)
Non-cyclist has no idea what you are talking about.
All bicyclist lie.
It is a flat ride.
No not that left the other left.
How long are you going to be gone today?
I have no legs.
Bonked.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:54 PM

TJKnight is on a distinguished road

I will add to MarkAJ's great suggestions:

Always drink lots of water, especially in hot weather.
Always wear a bike helmet.

Learn basic bike maintenance such as keeping your drive train clean and lubed, inflating your tires, and washing your bike.

Find some other riders you can ride with (or tolerate) and ride with them. You don't need to look far. I see lots of cyclists in Alhambra. Most local bike shops hold beginner group rides. Seek out local bike clubs if you desire. Ride the SGRT on any Saturday morning and chat with cyclists at the rest stops. Post on bike forums. Many of us have done these when we first started cycling.

Keep track of your rides, perhaps in the form of a diary. You may want to consider setting a training goal.

At some point, remove your reflectors.

Most importantly... Have fun!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 PM
n00b

@MarkAJ, at work I store the bike in my office. When I ride to work I'm taking the side streets to avoid as much traffic as possible. Rode to work this morning, in the AM, it ain't bad, traffic is to a minimum. In the afternoon not as bad with the route I took, 85% all side streets. You bring up nutrition, good point. I actually want to start reading up on the subject. I used to hit the gym pretty hard a couple years back, so I know nutrition plays a big part for recovery and energy.

@TJKinght Thanks for the pointers. I'll check for beginner groups around my area. Best way to learn about all the things I'm doing wrong. Great idea for the log. Gonna start one today to see my progress. I also removed my reflectors already. I put lights in front and the rear of my bike. Figured that is sufficient, and removed those ugly things. For now I'm using a Cateye to keep track my ride's. When my riding warrants a upgrade what do you recommend to keep track for the ride of the day?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:49 PM
intentionally left blank

zzzwillzzz is on a distinguished road

if you have an iPhone you can get the strava app for free and track you rides that way
Old 09-12-2012, 08:06 PM

TJKnight is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Strava is great.

When you are ready to make the leap, the Garmin 800 is the best bike computer available.

Also, don't worry exclusively about what you are doing wrong, and be aware it takes time and patience to discover your comfort zones.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 PM
n00b

I do have an iPhone, going to download Strava right now. Thanks