Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Rides and Reports
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rides and Reports Looking for people to ride with? Have pics of your last ride?

Old 09-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Like I'm On Crazy Pills

My Photos: (0)
scootcore is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile

riding to PV is tough from the valley...... even worse coming back!

http://bmmotivated.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/scootcore
Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Lost Groomer

mtrider05 is on a distinguished road

I wanted a change of scenery so I drove to Big Bear and planned on doing Onyx Summit then loop around the lake. Thunderstorms were in the forecast but I tempted fate, it was looking (and sounding) ominous climbing Onyx but the rain held off and made for an enjoyable climb. Then looped around the lake, very nice ride nothing too difficult, spectacular scenery and above all else, it was 65 degrees, perfect.

http://app.strava.com/rides/21555377

Obligatory sign pic: http://i.imgur.com/5c8pK.jpg
Old 09-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Male Member

MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrider05 View Post
I wanted a change of scenery so I drove to Big Bear and planned on doing Onyx Summit then loop around the lake. Thunderstorms were in the forecast but I tempted fate, it was looking (and sounding) ominous climbing Onyx but the rain held off and made for an enjoyable climb. Then looped around the lake, very nice ride nothing too difficult, spectacular scenery and above all else, it was 65 degrees, perfect.

http://app.strava.com/rides/21555377

Obligatory sign pic: http://i.imgur.com/5c8pK.jpg
Nice! That had adventure.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Male Member

I meet up with three others at the Malibu Bluffs to ride north: Latigo, Mulholland, Little Sycamore, Mulholland, PCH to the “Rock” and back PCH.

We all clipped in at 8:15 a.m. to overcast skies. Three miles out and we are climbing Latigo Canyon. It is clear from the get-go I am not in the same league as the others. I am not just dropped but I am on my own ride, but I am okay with this. (These guys are a good group.) They wait for me at the top. Again I am dropped on Mulholland, but I held my own on Little Sycamore.

Everyone knew once we connected with PCH at Leo Carrillo State Beach and turned north the head winds were waiting. They also waited for me at this junction so we all could pace-line.

We turned and “Action Jackson” (The Machine) took the lead and I dropped right in behind him. The wind was strong. I say 15 mph, but Action Jackson says 12-13 mph. The other two missed the hook up and quickly fell behind. It was two two-man teams now. A gap started between me and Action Jackson but he noticed and allowed me to catch up. “What speed do you want to go?” he asked. I said 16-17 on the climbs and pop up on the flats. This guy pulled me from Leo Carrillo to the “Rock” without once hesitating riding 16-21 mph in this head wind. That is eight miles of solid riding!

We all regrouped at the “Rock”. The overcast is gone and we have sun but not hot. We take off and I mean take off! 24-25 mph I am second in line and when it is my turn I maintain this knowing I will never be able to keep it up or recover fast enough to drop in again, but great fun. Sure enough as I pull off I immediately know I cannot hold on. I pushed it too hard. No problem. It is a great day and I settle in riding along the ocean with a great tail wind.

We all regrouped at the Bluffs. They waited for me. Good fun today in good weather, low traffic and little beach parking to deal with (door zones).

I hung at the Bluffs for a spell to talk with two young ladies touring from Eugene, OR. They had been on the road for 31 days. They were camping everywhere, but I have to tell you they were traveling VERY LITE (minimalist). I asked them how they like the CA coast line. There reply, “It’s flat”.

62 miles; 4,715 feet
Old 09-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Exuberantly

My Photos: (1)
Red Rider is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile

I envy your altitude, Mark.

My ride was much flatter.

For the first time since May '11 I rode it Merckx. New PR on the road bike, but much, much harder than on the TT bike. The borrowed carbon clincher flatted while I was trying to pump it up, my Bike Slave was still at work, so I bailed on the aero and went road.

Still coughing up lung...damn you, exercised-induced asthma!

If my breasts were any perkier, I'd have to have a Tupperware party.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 PM
FSU Bulldogs Red Wave

My Photos: (10)
pv0463 is on a distinguished road

My schedule at work allows me to take every other Friday off. Today was one of those Fridays. I usually play golf (yes, I walk), but not today. I've decided that I need to put more miles on my bikes, mainly because I really spent a fortune on them. Got out at a decent time (rolling by 8:00) to beat the heat, and stayed local. WOW! there are A LOT of nuts in heavy, mostly metal, heavy boxes that roll on wheels and can kill me. I almost got hit three times. And this over streets/roads that I ride on practically every weekend. But this was not a weekend day, just the last day of the work week for most, and it showed:
1. Guy on a cell phone on his left ear. Driving a Prius. Coming out of a driveway, looking right (away from me) AND F'ING ROLLING! I screamed at him ('LOOK OUT', nothing nasty), and the shocked look on his face told me he had no idea I was there.
2. Waiting for the green light at an intersection. It comes on, I get going and clip in. the sidewalk on the other side protrudes a bit, so I instinctively slowed just enough to see the white flash on my eyeglass mirror cut right in front of me, basically 'pinching' me to the side. I hit the brakes, she passed (sped away to make up for those precious 2 seconds), and I kept going. A little close. Three-foot allowance? My a$$
3. Another intersection, another green light. It goes green and I start crossing. About half-way through, a dude in a full size Toyota pickup makes a right turn on the red light (from my right). Didn't stop at the red light, the turn was definitely NOT as close to the curb as possible, and he sped away.
Bottom line: I need to get out a lot earlier on Fridays, and do some remote road riding (with less traffic). This sh!t scared me today.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Male Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pv0463 View Post
My schedule at work allows me to take every other Friday off. Today was one of those Fridays. I usually play golf (yes, I walk), but not today. I've decided that I need to put more miles on my bikes, mainly because I really spent a fortune on them. Got out at a decent time (rolling by 8:00) to beat the heat, and stayed local. WOW! there are A LOT of nuts in heavy, mostly metal, heavy boxes that roll on wheels and can kill me. I almost got hit three times. And this over streets/roads that I ride on practically every weekend. But this was not a weekend day, just the last day of the work week for most, and it showed:
1. Guy on a cell phone on his left ear. Driving a Prius. Coming out of a driveway, looking right (away from me) AND F'ING ROLLING! I screamed at him ('LOOK OUT', nothing nasty), and the shocked look on his face told me he had no idea I was there.
2. Waiting for the green light at an intersection. It comes on, I get going and clip in. the sidewalk on the other side protrudes a bit, so I instinctively slowed just enough to see the white flash on my eyeglass mirror cut right in front of me, basically 'pinching' me to the side. I hit the brakes, she passed (sped away to make up for those precious 2 seconds), and I kept going. A little close. Three-foot allowance? My a$$
3. Another intersection, another green light. It goes green and I start crossing. About half-way through, a dude in a full size Toyota pickup makes a right turn on the red light (from my right). Didn't stop at the red light, the turn was definitely NOT as close to the curb as possible, and he sped away.
Bottom line: I need to get out a lot earlier on Fridays, and do some remote road riding (with less traffic). This sh!t scared me today.
Week day riding is different than the weekends. Week day starts should be super early or late mornings. Eiether one works.

Glad you are able to tell us about it.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Male Member

Two of us made a 7:15 a.m. clip-in in Brentwood to ride PCH north to the “Rock” and back (Out-N-Back). Way too hot to ride inland or climb in the mountains although we ran into some who were going to do that. It was hot at the beach and not much wind as in previous weeks. On the way back when we rolled by Malibu it was 98 degrees and then Santa Monica Beach it was 95 degrees. As long as you were moving on the bike it was not a problem, but as soon as you stopped your body was noticeably sweating. Today’s beach goers; if you were not on the water’s edge or in the ocean you were not getting any relief from the heat.

We made the trip north at a pretty good clip working our two man pace line. Knowing I was not going to climb any mountains I put a little more into it. The only stop we made was a brief potty stop. It was here we ran into some LaGrange riders on their way to climb what they said was the annual Piuma climb. (Way too hot for that.)

There was a triathlon going on at Zuma Beach with a 24 mile bicycle course on PCH with a turnaround at Deer Creek. CHP had all traffic closed to one lane for the event with traffic control at all intersections. It was fantastic!! We hit the outbound 12 mile section made up of 99% women riders. It was “booty” heaven. A couple of them left their bikini on for the ride, no compliant here. The two of us were stronger than anyone on the course so we were able to move about at will. We made the best of it for 12 miles careful not to get in anyone’s way.

We rolled up to the “Rock” to find HerbM standing over his bike. We all took a few minutes to compare notes on the women; I mean the triathlon and take in some bike food. Short time later we all left for the return ride back. We made one stop for water and another short one for potty as we moved sharply along PCH. Because of the triathlon no cars were allowed to park on the west side of the highway so we had a closed road (free of tri-riders now) and no door zones to worry about on the return. This was just a bonus day to be on PCH.

When we made the turn in Santa Monica to go inland were the car was the temperature sky rocketed to 104 degrees. Luckily, we only had to ride about 4 miles, but believe me you feel that. Early clip-in; home by 1 p.m. A good ride with good friends today.

74.5 miles; 2,221 feet
Old 09-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Lost Groomer

mtrider05 is on a distinguished road

Nice ride, Mark!

Got a late start today so I drove to the only cool place in the area, Wrightwood. I started in a different spot than usual to shake things up and ended riding from there down the Crystal Lake.

I chit-chatted with the cafe owners and they were worried about how dead it was, granted the road did just open yesterday so people aren't aware yet. I only knew it was open because I checked their Facebook before heading out. Ordered a coke and socialized with the cats they have then started my climb back up to the 2 and eventually up to Dawson Saddle again.

The closed section of the 39 is the best I've ever seen it, very little sand and only a few rockslides, the descent wasn't white knuckle for a change so that was nice. Great day of riding and the best part was the hottest temperature I saw on the Garmin was 84.

37mi/4.5k
http://app.strava.com/rides/22087609

Tomorrow I'll be riding in the same area, but a decidedly bigger ride. Can't wait.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Male Member

It was 71 degrees this morning when I rode away from my house at 5:20 a.m. Knowing I was going to do an early start I loaded up my bike with lights the night before. All of this was to beat some of the heat which I did. Early start: early home 11:10 a.m.

I took my usual Sunday route which ultimately takes me to the Rose Bowl and then the Montrose Coffee Bean. There is a lot of new asphalt on this route some of which is not even painted. This makes the ride even sweeter.

After day break I began to see more riders out. I think a lot of people wanted to get out in front of the heat. Of course I was at the Rose Bowl early and it was busy with people too.

I left the Rose Bowl and made the Coffee Bean at the right time to meet up with some SoCal RiderS. This is a great part of the Sunday ride just hanging out talking about whatever strikes us.

I should mention it took about 3-4 miles this morning before my legs started to cooperate. I took it easy all morning until the final leg home where this no shirt, no helmet, tattooed sidewalk/street mountain biker tried to shame me with his speedy bike handling skills. I just clipped up one or two gears and the engine took over. I made it very clear I was a practiced rider. Matter of fact I was so far gone I never saw my group again. It is okay, they knew I was going home anyway.

64.8 miles; 2,648 feet