Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Rides and Reports
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rides and Reports Looking for people to ride with? Have pics of your last ride?

Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Lost Groomer

My Photos: (0)
mtrider05 is on a distinguished road

Had plans for a morning ride but I haven't been sleeping well lately so afternoon rides seem to be my thing. Same starting place as yesterday, only today I went to Newcomb's and back. I had great legs which is odd since this has been my biggest riding week in 3 months, though I'm not complaining.

Fantastic weather today, though a tad windier than yesterday, I could have actually used arm warmers on a few of the descents. I didn't set any climb PR's but I had second and third best times, which are good progress markers because all my PR's have been on smaller rides where I'm specifically pushing that section. Day off tomorrow is in order.

47mi/5.4k

http://app.strava.com/rides/22232703
Old 09-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Male Member

MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

Stayed local and rode around town in the heat. A reminder why I go to the beach to ride. No one could go with me today but one SoCal Rider told me to stop by his house if I was in the area. I took it easy the entire ride. I had too it was hot out, but as long as you were moving it was endurable.

I had no agenda, but ended up out at the Rose Bowl where I did 8 laps. There were a few people about and a couple of riders came and went. I stopped at the potty house after lap 4 to find out my banana had exploded in my jersey pocket. I was able to salvage half. Messy situation, but I had water and paper towels from the potty house to help me out. An In-N-Out mobile truck was in full operation at the Rose Bowl Golf Club house. It had a good smell and a line of customers.

I left the Rose Bowl and worked my way over to my offer to stop at a SoCal RiderS house. He was there, invited me in and poured me a large glass full of ice and fresh squeezed orange juice. (Oranges from his tree.) It was cold and sweet! We had a nice chat while I consumed his orange juice. When I left I was five miles from a metric century and three miles from home. I found those missing miles before I made it home where I consumed my recovery drink followed by a whole watermelon.

62.8 miles; 2,805 feet
Old 09-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Base-building

My Photos: (12)
VegaVixen is on a distinguished road

Had planned to get out and do a metric on September 8 on my recently-repaired Scott. I'd ridden a metric earlier this year on same route on my beater, and was curious as to how the ride would differ.

Woke up in plenty of time to eat, get in kit, and get gear/bike in car, though I had to force myself to get up as my body screamed for more sleep. So, ate, dressed, applied sunscreen, packed gear/bike in car. And then realized I was just too freakin' exhausted to attempt 60+ miles. I felt "swimmy-headed," and if I closed my eyes for two seconds, I felt myself drifting to sleep. Even being outside in fresh air didn't help.

So, I brought bike/gear back inside and napped for another couple of hours in kit, thinking I'd at least get out later for a solo 22-miler. Didn't happen, as I had way too much to catch up on with all the time I was putting in at the hospital.

Had another metric opportunity last weekend. Woke up in plenty of time to get dressed, load gear and bike, and get there for registration, but I rolled onto my back to stretch it out, and then woke up about 45 minutes before the ride was to start! Had to bail on that one, too, as it was 45 minutes away.

I am happy to say, though, that I managed to make it to my last TT of the season on 9/13!

In spite of having been able to ride just 60 miles during the four weeks since the TT in August, I not only managed to post a time that was just six seconds off of my PR, I also soundly spanked the only woman I had to beat in my age cat to take third place in my age cat for the season in points! Got a nice little plaque.

Next year, I'm going for first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
I feel like the blonde who walked into a building: You'd think I would've seen it.
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure...." - Julia Child
Old 09-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Male Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen View Post
Had planned to get out and do a metric on September 8 on my recently-repaired Scott. I'd ridden a metric earlier this year on same route on my beater, and was curious as to how the ride would differ.

Woke up in plenty of time to eat, get in kit, and get gear/bike in car, though I had to force myself to get up as my body screamed for more sleep. So, ate, dressed, applied sunscreen, packed gear/bike in car. And then realized I was just too freakin' exhausted to attempt 60+ miles. I felt "swimmy-headed," and if I closed my eyes for two seconds, I felt myself drifting to sleep. Even being outside in fresh air didn't help.

So, I brought bike/gear back inside and napped for another couple of hours in kit, thinking I'd at least get out later for a solo 22-miler. Didn't happen, as I had way too much to catch up on with all the time I was putting in at the hospital.

Had another metric opportunity last weekend. Woke up in plenty of time to get dressed, load gear and bike, and get there for registration, but I rolled onto my back to stretch it out, and then woke up about 45 minutes before the ride was to start! Had to bail on that one, too, as it was 45 minutes away.

I am happy to say, though, that I managed to make it to my last TT of the season on 9/13!

In spite of having been able to ride just 60 miles during the four weeks since the TT in August, I not only managed to post a time that was just six seconds off of my PR, I also soundly spanked the only woman I had to beat in my age cat to take third place in my age cat for the season in points! Got a nice little plaque.

Next year, I'm going for first place.
Congratulations on your TT effort.

Hint on getting out riding:
  • Go to bed earlier.
  • Make your bike ready and load it the night before.
  • Layout the kit, water bottles, etc. the night before.
  • Layout breakfast the night before.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Base-building

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAJ View Post
Congratulations on your TT effort.

Hint on getting out riding:
  • Go to bed earlier.
  • Make your bike ready and load it the night before.
  • Layout the kit, water bottles, etc. the night before.
  • Layout breakfast the night before.
Did all of that. But being at the hospital between 4-12 hours a day these past few weeks kinda left me needing more than eight hours of sleep.

Thanks for the congrats! I really felt strong at that last TT, and thought of how hard my friend in the hospital was working so she could get back home (surgery on July 27, 34 days total in ICU, and finally moving today to the hospital's rehab facility to get her strength back). How could I not turn myself inside out and do my best, too?

Quote:
I feel like the blonde who walked into a building: You'd think I would've seen it.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Exuberantly

My Photos: (1)
Red Rider is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen View Post
Did all of that. But being at the hospital between 4-12 hours a day these past few weeks kinda left me needing more than eight hours of sleep.

Thanks for the congrats! I really felt strong at that last TT, and thought of how hard my friend in the hospital was working so she could get back home (surgery on July 27, 34 days total in ICU, and finally moving today to the hospital's rehab facility to get her strength back). How could I not turn myself inside out and do my best, too?
That's the spirit! WTG!

If my breasts were any perkier, I'd have to have a Tupperware party.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Base-building

Thanks, RR.

Quote:
Old 09-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Male Member

Easy spin today to save myself for tomorrow’s LA Wheelman Grand Tour Lite Highland Century 125 miles. Took some routes I have not done in some time and saw other solo riders. I finally ended up in Griffith Park riding the river trail. There were a lot of riders there putting some effort or just enjoying the morning.

I stopped at one point on the River Trail to assist a young couple. He had a broken front spoke and they did not know what to do. From there I went around Forest Lawn Memorial Park and Mortuaries. This put me on a path that would go by a SoCal RiderS house. He was out front so I stopped for a chat.

Finished up and was home by 11:30 a.m. to find my dogs alongside the house barking through the fence at nothing. “Get in the house!” Once I was inside I gave them a piece of my mind and we all agreed that would not happen again. They want to be good neighbors.

50.9 miles; 2,093 feet
Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 PM
FSU Bulldogs Red Wave

My Photos: (10)
pv0463 is on a distinguished road

Stayed in today. I've been fighting a viral (?) cough for a while now, and the last two-three days whatever it is has migrated to by ears and head. My right ear is 'plugged' most of the time, and this morning I woke up with a pretty noticeable headache. I thought a double espresso would get me going, but the legs said "NO".
So now I have a somewhat runny nose, and I'm sweating buckets. I think it's because of the humidity and not due to a fever (no, I haven't checked the temperature yet). I am really pissed. I was looking forward to a mtb ride tomorrow. The MTB is ready-to-go, just in case I wake up and feel up to it.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 AM

nesdog is on a distinguished road

Sat: fifty miles, about 4500' of vertical with the shop ride. Out to the beach and climbing back via Encinal. Uggg. no legs on that one. Just paced with another rider while we prayed for the top to appear! Really humid yesterday.