Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Cycling Discussions
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Cycling Discussions What do you ride? What did you buy? Will this work with my BB?

Old 09-26-2012, 06:04 AM
n00b

My Photos: (0)
Andra2000 is on a distinguished road
Default Inexpensive mountain bikes

I am casually looking for an inexpensive mountain bike that would be more suitable than my Cannondale Quick for ratty dirt roads, fire roads, and some non-technical mountain bike trails. I had put knobby tires on my Quick and have used it. Now I find that the tires have been rubbing on my fork and have removed paint down to the carbon. A full suspension seems over the top for my needs, pricey, and difficult to find for someone 4'11" tall with a short reach. So, I am looking at hardtail bikes.

My standover is about 27.5" but I have very short arms. My Quick has a 50.5 effective top tube, which is pretty good.

So far I have found:

Specialized Myka Sport (maybe disc) that comes in a 13" size, 52.5cm top tube, and about 25.6" on standover, at $630. Or I could go as low as their non-disc, nonsport version at $470.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

Specialized Jett Comp, also in a 13" size, 53cm top tube (getting to be a bit much), with bout 25.6" on standover, but kind of pricey at $1250:

A bit more out of the box, a kids mountain bike with a 12" frame, 49cm Top tube and 24 inch wheels, a Kona Kula at $949:

http://www.konaworld.com/kids.cfm?content=kula_2-4

Bikes direct has a number of possibilities in their Motobecane brand, with 52cm top tubes, and acceptable stand over at 26", but most seem to be sold out and the ones I originally looked at are now gone.

Thoughts?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 PM
n00b

My Photos: (0)
bingo296 is on a distinguished road

I think both of them are good..

Old 11-14-2012, 06:55 AM
Base-building

My Photos: (17)
VegaVixen is on a distinguished road

Andra2000, if you have a spot on your fork worn down to the carbon fiber, you should at least get that clearcoated. UV rays can weaken the CF and that could be catastrophic.

As far as MTB's go, I've done nearly all of my riding on road bikes, and I'm not (yet) familiar enough with them to help you with your comparisons. Hopefully someone here will have some guidance for you.

Good luck, and welcome to SCBF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
I feel like the blonde who walked into a building: You'd think I would've seen it.
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure...." - Julia Child