Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Cycling Discussions
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Cycling Discussions What do you ride? What did you buy? Will this work with my BB?

Old 10-01-2012, 12:21 AM
n00b

My Photos: (0)
Andra2000 is on a distinguished road
Default Chain cleaning

Cleaning my chain, even with the Parktool chain cleaning system, always seems to me to be messier and more difficult than it should be. I'm trying to hold the bike upright without the kickstand, move the pedals backward, and hold the chain cleaning tool in place all at the same time.

I'm also making a big black puddle on the layers of newspaper underneath, somehow getting black gunk on my hands and under my fingernails, and trying to figure out how to get the gunk cleaned out between the gears with the brush. I don't yet understand how the toothed end of the brush is supposed to be used.

After I do all that, I try to dry the chain as much as possible by running it through a few layers of a t-shirt rag several times, and then I apply a stream of Rock n' Roll gold lube, and dry again as much as possible.

I'd like to keep my bike in good shape, but I always dread going though all this. Any suggestions for making this process easier and less messy would be appreciated. Gloves would obviously help. Is there any kind of small stand people use? A best way to clean between the rear gears? I read somewhere that any hosing should be done perpendicular to the bike. I don't want to cause any damage to the cassette.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:27 PM

TJKnight is on a distinguished road

Google is your friend...

https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...&client=safari
Old 10-14-2012, 10:39 AM
n00b

Byron M. is on a distinguished road

Youtube is also your friend. There are SEVERAL clips demonstrating how to clean chains.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 PM
n00b

bernmart is on a distinguished road

I picked up a tip from someone years ago that has worked well: Wipe the gunk and dirt off the chain with a WD-40 soaked rag or paper towel. Then paint the lube onto the top of the chain's lower run with a cheap artist's paintbrush, dipping it into the lube frequently to make sure the lube penetrates the rollers. Works really well, with no mess.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:34 PM
de facto antagonist

Horizontal Heith is on a distinguished road

Spin and spray then spin and wipe 2 times per week if you ride a lot.
Every 3 weeks if you use a wax or oily lube, put it in a coffee can with mineral spirits and shake it up, remove and dry, Spin and spray then spin and wipe.(if you have a shimano pinned chain buy a quick link for shimano)
Don't forget to wipe/clean chainrings and derailleur rollers before you put the chain back on. And hit the cassette with brake cleaner so it's shiny again.

I use silicone lubes because they stay clean longer. But I have to lube my chain more often. Wax based gunk up the rollers and small chainring faster but last a week instead of a couple days. Oily lubes are nice and quiet but they collect a lot of dirt. If you use silicone lube you don't get gunk on the derailleur rollers or sand built up on the rings or chain plates. with silicone you have to lube more but you don't need the coffee can. Du Pont silicone from Lowes is good but the PB Blaster SL is the best and cleanest chain lube I ever used.