Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Rides and Reports
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rides and Reports Looking for people to ride with? Have pics of your last ride?

Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Poo Slacker

My Photos: (0)
mkadam68 is on a distinguished road

I'm planning on being there tonight. 5:30pm start time (next week, will move to normal 6pm). All 10 laps are planned, although I might not make them all yet (still thinking my fitness is way off after being sick the past 6 weeks ).

Anyone else?

Visit The C-Blog : the blog about cycling.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Poo Slacker

Long time between updates. Well, let it not be said that I didn't make an effort to keep the thread going

Last week was a rest/recovery week after three hard weeks of increasing intensity. Mon, Tues, & Wed this week were off-the-bike due to work (the hot temps didn't help either). So Thurs night was my first time back on the bike since my recovery week.

The ride started off on its usual parade lap, and it even seemed to last 1-1/2 laps before we really started going. The dry heat was going to take its toll throughout the night, though: I would easily empty both large bottles and really could have used more.

Mid-ride, perhaps lap 5 or so, I found myself following wheels & moving forward. A small group of 3 riders had accelerated slightly off the front and was pushing the (so far) slowish pace. My friend Jen was just in front of me and behind three others, but not moving through the hole just in front of her. Rider to our left passes and moves through the opening, so I follow and we quickly catch the three escapees. They're in the midst of struggling to get organized and not being very successful.

I'm staying about 2nd or 3rd wheel (somehow successfully) when a Big Gun quickly goes by on my left. I somehow latch onto his wheel and we're moving through turn #4 at a good clip. So far, I'm not in danger of blowing. He stays on the front for alot longer than I could and when he finally pulls off at the bottom of the little hill, I can only pull through quickly and off again. And that's my matches for awhile. I sit up, trying to recoup.

There's an amazing amount of damage done to the field. Riders are coming past in ones and twos as they bridge up to the attack. Soon, it's a group of 15-20 going down the road toward turn #1. The main field finally catches up to me, allowing me some rest from my efforts, but the break had been established.

Another lap or two, and we soon were pulling the attack back. Coming down past the clubhouse, it looked like a stalemate. Through turn #3 and a couple riders were on the front (me in 3rd wheel) eagerly chasing, licking their chops. They didn't seem to have the endurance as the front rider pulls off, followed quickly by second. I pull through and continue the effort. I look back and see that I'm somehow off the front and quickly approaching the breakaway. However, it was short-lived. As I sit on the back, resting from my effort, I soon realize the break had turned off the jets and had slowed down. The pack soon catches us.

We then sat in for the next 2 laps and awaited the sprint. I was definitely tired for that, especially when car ran interference, slowing us down, then accelerating. Coupled with all the riders who pull off, it was tough chasing from too far back in turn #4. I tried my hardest to stay with the finishing group until the top of the hill, then gave in to my fatigue.

Fun night, especially considering how active I was. Maybe I should take 3 days off more often!!

Last edited by mkadam68 : 08-17-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Hit the 'submit' button by accident! :eek:
Old 09-19-2012, 05:56 AM
Poo Slacker

Ride starting at 5:30pm now. Getting alot of riders who get there when they can after work & jump in when possible. We started off with a small group, but after 4-5 laps, it was normal size. Still doing 10-laps. At this time of year, the pace is hard in spots, easier in others.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Poo Slacker

9 laps this past week due to darkness. Thursday night was going well, 4 laps for warmup. At the end of lap 1, as we went up the little rise at Salvia, I heard a muted "Pop!". As we go over, I look back. Sure enough: wheel is wobbling side-to-side. I broke a spoke. I reached back, opened my brake a bit so it didn't rub. I figured my 32-spoke Open Pros should last the rest of the ride, so I continued on.

Felt good throughout: never in fear of dropping (always nice) and could move to the front at will, push the pace, etc...

One moment of bad: after Turn #2, I was following some guy on a track bike (with front brake). He could spin very well and was keeping up apparently no problemo. However, as I sat behind him, I noticed he had a saddle-attached water bottle holder with one bottle. The bottle didn't look like it was in all the way. Sure enough, after a little, the bottle popped out (there's a reason we call them "rocket launchers") and rolled past me on the right. I yelled and pointed, "Bottle!". But it wasn't enough. Behind me, I heard a crash. We continued on as most people up front hadn't heard and there's not really anything we could do. As we came around the next lap, I noticed about 6-8 guys off to the side. Not sure how many actually crashed and how many stopped to help, though. No ambulances so we'll assume no one was hurt badly.

About lap 4, again as we approach the Salvia climb, I hear a noise from the back of the bike. So I figure maybe another spoke had gone. Time to quit so not to be a danger to others. I pull off, stop & inspect the wheel. No other spokes had broken. It was apparently "just a noise". I stopped anyway and headed back to the car for an early night.

Fixed up the wheel Friday after work.

BTW, next week, we're scheduled to do 8-laps. Still starting at 5:30, too.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 AM
Poo Slacker

Ride is now down to 6-laps. Pretty dark when we finished last night, too. Next week, it'll be 5-laps ( ). There was even talk of starting at 5 instead of 5:30, but that was only rumor/talk. Start time is still 5:30. Then daylight saving time will end on Nov 4 & ride will be over for 2012. 2013 Daylight saving time begins 5 months later, March 10, 2013! Yay!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Poo Slacker

Ride started this past Tuesday, 3/12.

5:55 start time, 8 laps last week, 9 laps this week.

Lotsa cars/traffic, especially south end of Bowl, so be prepared to come to a stop. This is not a race! Do not cross the yellow lines and stay outta the ped-zone!