Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Cycling Discussions
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Cycling Discussions What do you ride? What did you buy? Will this work with my BB?

Old 07-18-2010, 02:51 PM

My Photos: (0)
pure_momentum is on a distinguished road

i didnt know gmr gets up to 12% grade. i manage that ride just fine all the time. sometimes it gets a bit hot while going up but it never struck me as being impossible. on the other hand some local routes i take have grades that are over 20% according to mapmyride.com and also feels like over 20% because they stagger me down to roughly 3mph during the ascent thats not even half a mile long. esperanza road coming from baseline is one example. that small hill killed me the other day in 100 degree weather. i have no idea if its the weather or the gradient but i was swinging the bike like a mad person while going up that short hill at roughly 3 mph.

what gives??? i want someone else to try that hill and tell me its easy. its short but the gradient is most likely in the 25% range. coming from baseline, going up the hill on esperanza. keep going and after that major gradient there is a short less steeper hill before you go around to your left and reach that junction where you can go on san dimas canyon road.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 AM
Cat 4ish

My Photos: (6)
ohmannuel is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile

There are some great climbs in the Santa Clarita area. Lake Hughs, Camp 9, Aliso Canyon, a few others. I can tell you like climbing so I just thought I'd tell you about these.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:56 AM

My Photos: (1)
david edward is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAJ View Post
Dude, I found what you are looking for thanks to the Conejo Valley Cyclist web site.

Yerba Buena Road
8.1 miles; 2,360 feet; 5.3% average grade; 8% max grade

Let me know if you need anything else.
Hey Mark,
Yerba Buena is really pleasant going up. The only thing is the road condition is bad (unless it's been repaved) so I wouldn't go down it.
Somebody gave me that suggestion and I ignored it thinking "how bad could it be?". Bad enough to never want to do that again, that's how bad.
By the way there's water at the top...and a bathroom.
I need to get over and do that one again soon.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Male Member

MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by david edward View Post
Hey Mark,
Yerba Buena is really pleasant going up. The only thing is the road condition is bad (unless it's been repaved) so I wouldn't go down it.
Somebody gave me that suggestion and I ignored it thinking "how bad could it be?". Bad enough to never want to do that again, that's how bad.
David you riding again? If so and you want to get with some of us just let me know.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Seat Sniffer

My Photos: (5)
Biker395 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by david edward View Post
Hey Mark,
+1

Nice climb. Crappy descent. Not only is it choppy and gravelly, but the cracks in the road often follow the same direction as the road, and are just the right place to put a front tire into. YB isn't a the worst descent I've done (the Barstow-Yermo road is definitely worse), but it's bad enough to screw up what would otherwise be a nice descent. I do not want to know what it would be like to skid on my arse down any part of that puppy.

BTW, that water and bathrooms aren't quite at the top. They are at the Circle X ranger station just west of the top. While you're there, pick up on the maps of the Santa Monica Mountains ... pretty trick.

www.photo395.com
Well, spank my quads and call me Kristin!
Old 05-26-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAJ View Post
David you riding again? If so and you want to get with some of us just let me know.
Hey Mark,
Yes. I'm starting to ride some, but this knee is still giving me problems. Hope to ride with you guys soon.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
+1

BTW, that water and bathrooms aren't quite at the top. They are at the Circle X ranger station just west of the top. While you're there, pick up on the maps of the Santa Monica Mountains ... pretty trick.
Thanks for pointing that out, I had forgotten.

This post got me thinking about Yerba, so I went up it last weekend. Definitely not repaved. Still nice though...nice and quite, very few cars.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:26 PM
FSU Bulldogs Red Wave

My Photos: (10)
pv0463 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
+1

Nice climb. Crappy descent. Not only is it choppy and gravelly, but the cracks in the road often follow the same direction as the road, and are just the right place to put a front tire into. YB isn't a the worst descent I've done (the Barstow-Yermo road is definitely worse), but it's bad enough to screw up what would otherwise be a nice descent. I do not want to know what it would be like to skid on my arse down any part of that puppy.

Well, I'm checking each canyon road / climb off the list one-by-one. Started with Encinal, moved up to Mulholland, and finally Yerba.
Encinal is definitely the easiest of the three.
Mulholland is very nice and smooth. Too much traffic, though. Especially the crotch rockets that buzz you as you're spitting out a lung.
Yerba is the hardest. Looong, and never ending. The condition of the pavement is absolutely crappy! I am tempted to not climb it again until after it's repaved; which, judging by how little traffic there is, it'll not be any time soon. I got absolutely beaten!

And, oh, by the way: riding with a cell phone for emergencies is hopeless. There is no coverage until the Mishe Mokwa trailhead, pretty close to the top. Also, check for the Park Rangers' days off. I stopped to use the facility and call home, and the shack was LOCKED; UNMANNED; WTF?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:48 PM

TJKnight is on a distinguished road

^spammer