Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > What's Up, SoCal?
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

What's Up, SoCal? SoCal'ers, talk about your local happenings here!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:53 AM
Base-building

My Photos: (16)
VegaVixen is on a distinguished road

So, how's it goin' for you, AP1EKWAN? Have you managed to work a little trainer love into your schedule? Great op for base training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
I feel like the blonde who walked into a building: You'd think I would've seen it.
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure...." - Julia Child
Old 03-27-2012, 06:01 PM

My Photos: (0)
TJKnight is on a distinguished road

Can you bike commute and ride at lunch?
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 PM
NOT the unsub

AP1EKWAN is on a distinguished road

Well... Not really VV.
Call me stupid, but I sold (I know, blasphemy) my other bikes to recoup some cash instead of them just laying around. This may sound weird, but I didn't want to ride the Tarmac on short rides or on the trainer. I just felt it deserved an owner to ride it like it should.
I'm waiting for LBS to build a Spec Crux as a do-all bike. So, that will get my butt time on the trainer and road (if I get any).
Optimistic, but, you never know.

Heck yea, I need base miles.. Haven't even touched a bike since the end of last year.
Sigh.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 PM
NOT the unsub

TJK, I tried the commute to work for a little while before, but it wasn't enjoyable waking up at 4:30 and riding home at night. My commute through Alhambra and Monterey Park would be very interesting to say the least.
I hardly ever take a full hour for lunch - customer service type job makes it a bit difficult to do so. So, I never even considered riding at lunch.
Plus helmet hair would be a bit weird to rock at work.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:12 AM
Base-building

Not stupid to sell a bike or three when you need the money. Good that will have another built up soon.

Seriously, look at this as an opportunity to get in a good base. Base miles at low-intensity. Check out the training thread, and Horizontal Heath's comments about the Maffetone 180 method (starting around post #1983). I'm doing a hybrid of that and Thomas Chapple, and am seeing results after just a little more than two weeks of training (had previously been off the bike since last July).

Get that solid base in at low-intensity during this time, and then when you can get back out on the road regularly, you will see yourself getting faster than you've ever been.

Quote:
I feel like the blonde who walked into a building: You'd think I would've seen it.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:54 AM
NOT the unsub

Thanks VV, I will look into that.
Trainer base miles. That even sounds boring.

If I win the mega lotto, I think that'll fix everything. I can use the 360 million.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:18 AM
Base-building

It's not boring! Trying to keep my HR low while keeping a high cadence is a challenge! I cannot believe how quickly an hour passes, and all I suggested to you is a short 20- to 30-minute spin a couple of times a week to start.

I think once you get into a habit of 25-30 minutes every other night, you might be surprised at how much more energy you have, and how much more willing you are to sit there for at least one whole hour a week.

Just try the Maffetone thing to start. 180-(your age), and subtract 5 to get your target base-building HR. It will seem low. I didn't think I could keep mine so low AND move my legs. But it was soooo easy on my legs to get back started again after so much time off, and now I feel challenged and engaged by the workouts as I try to up my avg cadence while keeping HR at the target rate. And...it's working! My heart is getting stronger, and I'm finding I can spin a faster cadence (and three gearteeth lower in the back) than when I started, and at the same heart rate.

The sense of improvement and increasing aerobic fitness becomes a motivation in itself to get on the trainer, even when I'm not quite in the mood. Once on, feels great!

In any case, you'll benefit from just two rides a week to start.

Hang in there. "And this, too, shall pass...."

Quote:
Old 03-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Male Member

MarkAJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP1EKWAN View Post
Thanks VV, I will look into that.
Trainer base miles. That even sounds boring.

If I win the mega lotto, I think that'll fix everything. I can use the 360 million.
Heart Rate Monitoring
If training in the proper zones is so important, how do we know which zone we are in? Modern training methods lean heavily on heart rate monitoring, attaching a range of heart rates to each zone. In reality, this is a good approximation but not the only method. Once one has become accustomed to using a heart rate monitor, the conscientious athlete should compare heart rate with other methods, such as Perceived Exertion and personal experience, to confirm that he is training in the proper Zone.

To start aerobic training, without a previous training background, try Dr. Maffetone’s 180 formula:

180 – age = Maximum Aerobic heart rate
-10 if recovering from major illness
-5 if not exercised before, exercised irregularly, has ongoing injuries, or over trained
As is if exercising regularly (4 times weekly) for up to two years without problems
+5 if competitive athlete training for more than two years without problems, and have made progress in competition

Use a zone of 10 beats below up to your maximum aerobic rate. This will seem too low for most people. It should feel conversational, as if you could almost do the same workout over again once you complete it. The key is to have faith that exercising at this pace over time will force your body to adapt, increase its aerobic abilities, and over time you will have to go faster to maintain the same level of effort (as measured by heart rate).

There are other ways to calculate a training heart rate. In general, the 180 Formula jibes with others that are designed to increase endurance by training in the upper end of your Zone 2 - Extensive Endurance. Be cautious of the standard “220 – age = maximum heart rate, exercise at 85% of this for cardio” dogma at gyms and on machines.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:59 PM

TJKnight is on a distinguished road

To each his own, but I used to bike into work from Northwest Pasadena to Media Center off San Fernando Road (9 miles each way) before sunrise and it was great-- I really miss it. I used baby wipes and a comb after my lunch rides and never got complaints.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:50 PM
NOT the unsub

I'll try that zone/heart rate thing. I used to just ride like a hamster watching TV.
It's funny, when my last heart rate monitor died, I never replaced it. Rode with out any computers for about a year - felt cool/weird.

TJK, did you ride casually at lunch or push it a bit?
I mean, did you go thru the motions of riding just to get some miles?