Socal Bike Forums  

Go Back   Socal Bike Forums > Cycling Topics > Health, Diet and Nutrition
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Health, Diet and Nutrition As with any medical advice received on the innernet, buyer beware, and you really should run it by your doctor first.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Large Member

My Photos: (0)
prendrefeu is on a distinguished road

Just finished a late lunch with a little experiment. I think it was good, but would like suggestions on things to try out and make it fabulous:

1 can of tuna (red/dark meat, in spring water or oil, your pick).**
1 bed of fresh baby spinach on your plate. Your pick on how much you want.
-add salt/peper to your choosing.
-laced around the tuna with a balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing.

**I used a Persian Tuna can that I got from a Persian market, but still need to figure out how it's different from regular tuna.

(also had some fruit, cottage cheese to finish up the lunch and clean the pallet. But whatevs.)
Old 04-06-2009, 04:50 PM

Mikedirectory2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MErider View Post
Quinoa is a superfood and I'd highly recommend you try it. It's cheap and so easy to make (you just boil it for 8 minutes). It's called a grain but it isn't. It's a seed from a green plant. It has a mildly nutty flavor and it's very high in protein (for a plant food) and the protein is high quality and has many of the needed amino acids we get from meat. The carbs are very low on the gylcemic scale and unlike bread or pasta, quinoa will not leave you craving sugar or carbs within a couple of hours.

I love it and I love Teff (another "better choice" carb). Both are exotic but well worth trying and using. Just my two cents...
I tried it once before and I wasnt a fan of the taste. Do you have any suggestions for flavoring?
Old 10-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Base-building

My Photos: (12)
VegaVixen is on a distinguished road

Bump, just because I like new recipe ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
I feel like the blonde who walked into a building: You'd think I would've seen it.
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure...." - Julia Child
Old 10-24-2009, 02:15 PM

My Photos: (7)
danahs is on a distinguished road

i like to goto the salad bar at whole foods for lunch... probably not the cheapest way to eat ($15 salad lol) but certainly the best alternative to fast food/any other restaurant
Old 10-26-2009, 03:34 PM

Mikedirectory2 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know how to spice couscous? I buy whole grain now instead of the packaged stuff from Near East, but I can't figure out what spices they use in theirs and mine keeps coming out nasty.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Base-building

I put fresh mint and fresh parsley in mine, along with fresh lemon juice and finely-diced Roma tomatoes. A bit of garlic powder adds additional flavor. Yes, this is something like taboulleh, but that's how I add flavor to mine.

Quote:
I feel like the blonde who walked into a building: You'd think I would've seen it.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:41 AM
n00b

worshiper is on a distinguished road

In my healthy meal I always prefer green vegetables.Vegetables are valuable for maintaining alkaline reserve in the body. They are valued mainly for their high vitamin and mineral. Vitamins, Band C contained in vegetables in quantities equal. Faulty cooking and prolonged careless storage, however, destroy these valuable elements.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Base-building

Quote:
Originally Posted by worshiper View Post
In my healthy meal I always prefer green vegetables.Vegetables are valuable for maintaining alkaline reserve in the body. They are valued mainly for their high vitamin and mineral. Vitamins, Band C contained in vegetables in quantities equal. Faulty cooking and prolonged careless storage, however, destroy these valuable elements.
You should start a new thread in this subforum, and elaborate on this very important topic, given your concerns. Also, what are your thoughts on nutrients in vegetables when cooked (non-"faulty," natch) vs a those in vegetables consumed as part of a "raw" diet?

While you're at it, care to post up a recipe or two in this thread as examples of your "healthy meal"? You can include your special cooking tips, so that nutrients aren't destroyed.

Or are you just posting up to shill a website in your sig?

Quote:
Old 08-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Royal Grand Exalted Pooba

My Photos: (9)
smoke is on a distinguished road

reds, vitamin C, and cocaine
ďA democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship." - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America
Old 12-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Persona non grata

My Photos: (2)
VMac is on a distinguished road
View Member's FaceBook Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkat View Post
Loves me the quinoa.My fav is to cook the stuff in veggie stock with a good dose of Sriracha for a kick.
Just started a quinoa kick in an effort to replace my pasta habit with a healthier grain. Love it... usually add veggies and, of course, Sriracha. Everything is better with cock.